PDA

View Full Version : New reefer

Haggler
09-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Mitch; I am active duty Army, I have been here in the Springs for two years now. I have been interested in starting a salt water aquarium for years, but with the fear of moving about every three years, I never pulled the trigger. Recently, a friend offered me her tank; due to a move. I inherited a mess of aptasia and bubble algae. It was so bad I used the 20L I had waiting to convert to a sump for my 40B project, to house the livestock, a pair of black clowns, 6 line wrasse, and a blood shrimp. I am an active member of the VFW and the VFW motorcycle organization. That's about it for now, I look forward to attending a meeting and becoming a member of the SCMAS.

89delta
09-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the forums Mitch. To solve your aptasia problem you could do one of two things....the first is peppermint shrimps...and the second is more poking fun at a seller online is to sell them for $500ea and say that they are rare....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

dannonlayne
09-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm building a 40B with a 20L sump right now. Hope to have it up this weekend.

Good luck with the aiptasia. I've been using aiptasiaX for mine but the small ones grow faster than I can kill the big ones... Good luck. It's a PAIN. But will be so worth it.

Levi
09-24-2013, 06:31 PM
peppermint shrimp are great, just might have to catch them in a net and place the net over the infected area. I had 3 peppermints that would be 5 inches from 2 large aps and they never did anything until I moved the rock the aps were on to them and they literally destroyed it so fast you couldn't blink.

Welcome BTW!

static reef
09-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the club. Since your in the beginning stages I would take that rock out and kill it. This will allow you to start over and enjoy the hobby from the beginning. There are a tin of great people to help. Just ask

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hooked
09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi Mitch,
Welcome to our group. I tend to agree with Static reef about killing the rock and getting a fresh start. Your stress level will be happier in the long run.

Haggler
09-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the forums Mitch. To solve your aptasia problem you could do one of two things....the first is peppermint shrimps...and the second is more poking fun at a seller online is to sell them for $500ea and say that they are rare....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

I wish they were rare, seems every tank I see has them. I tried the aptasia x it can handle a small problem. I ended up taking out the rock and soaking it in bleech.

kmellon
09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Welcome Mitch. great to have you aboard. You will find a wealth of information and experiences here in the group. I also concur with killing off the rock and starting over. A big issue is if the aptasia has that large a foot hold, it might be in places you didn't even think about. I've had it so bad it was down in my filtration and right on the glass and plumbing. Share some photos and we might have a better idea on how bad the issue is. Lastly, bubble algea can be difficult due to how is spreads spores. one technique is to use suction to pluck it off the rock as you gently pry from below. Still a risk of popping it and not catching the pieces. Hence, kill the rock and start over. You could set up a small quarantine tank to hold the fish while you clean and rebuild the tank.

Murfman
09-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the club. Since your in the beginning stages I would take that rock out and kill it. This will allow you to start over and enjoy the hobby from the beginning. There are a tin of great people to help. Just ask

I concur, except for the tin part!!!! Welcome, Mitch and a big Hooahhhh to you!

Alcedok9
09-25-2013, 07:10 PM
When you get your tank cleaned up, give us a shout and will hook you up with some frags. Welcome to the hobby! ( goodbye savings account) ::rofl:

static reef
09-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I concur, except for the tin part!!!! Welcome, Mitch and a big Hooahhhh to you!

Don't hate on me murf. Texting and driving should be an olympic sport

Murfman
09-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Don't hate on me murf. Texting and driving should be an olympic sport

They make voice text, you know!

static reef
09-25-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm old school. What can I say.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with a little bit of humor. Welcome to the club. lmao