PDA

View Full Version : Transport

Jpclelland
09-24-2013, 09:21 AM
I currently have a 55 gal set up and running. I'm looking at a larger set up that a guy is selling. It is currently running with livestock and coral. My question is what is the best method to transport and also enable the stuff to survive. Thanks.

lsaint
09-24-2013, 09:54 AM
a ton of 5g buckets

Larrypueblo
09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
well depends on what your moving, fish buckets with battery powered air pumps with some kind of lid so they don't jump, live rock buckets or large totes with water to keep it live , coral in bags so they don't touch each other.

Levi
09-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Also keep in mind temperature, I would consider seeing if you can beg a LFS for their foam shipping containers and buy some bags. You can put each fish in its own bag with plenty of oxygen. And use heat packs or hand warmers not on the bags but on the foam lid to keep it warm. You would be amazed at how quickly water cools when its only in the low 70s outside

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Coral Xpressions
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I will be hoe tomorrow and have a few larger foam shipping boxes you can take and use if you'd like.

Normally just putting everything in 5 gal buckets is best if its a short trip. As long as you slowly raise temp back up and reacclimate to tank temp everything will be fine. I would recommend leaving the substrate in the tank with as little water as possible to keep from stirring up detritus. Rocks and livestock will have no prob in buckets.

Ehren
09-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Just my 2 cents after trying this a couple times. Thereís a good article on this, Iíll try to find it.
Place live rocks in 5 gallon buckets with lids, some rocks or pieces may need larger containers, one or two large tupper ware boxes. Rock with a lot of life, recommend only a couple pieces so they donít smash each other. Weíve also put fish in the 5 gallons with some of the rock to reduce splashing. Recommend only a couple fish per bucket. You can run air lines from a battery powered bubbler through a small hole in the lid. Weíve used some shallower containers for the corals. You may consider storing the buckets with fish and coral in the vehicle temperature controlled, donít go crazy with the AC, it sucks but maybe keep the temperature around 75 degrees. The rest of the live rock and sand can be put into some large trash bins, no more than you and your help can carry. Might want to bring along a dolly, towels siphon hoses, and a dust pan to scoop sand in case they donít have any.

Before you go. The more you have set up ahead of time the better.
Have all the salt water premixed and ready before you go, what you need plus a little for acclimation. Donít use the water you transported them in, it will be full of ammonia and other nastiness. Iíd recommend some quarantine tanks for your fish set up ahead of time. Theyíve been together so you could argue that there are no diseases. However, stress can bring about a disease/parasite outbreak and it will give you a chance to target feed if necessary. Having extra tanks on hand will also allow you to start acclimating and place the fish in the QTs while you work on getting the new tank set up, because that tank water will be a mess while youíre moving sand and rocks around. Also gives you the chance to weed out any undesirable specimens you donít want (like damsels). You could even use your 55gallon to hold some of the more fragile corals till the big tank is ready. Expect the levels to rise a little, thatís why having the fish in QT and using your 55 will help mitigate troubles.

Let us know how it goes and take pictures, some of us donít like to read a lot. Let us know if you need help or some supplies.

Jpclelland
09-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I am talking back and forth with him now. He offered to transport if I gave asking price, but wants me to ride to Denver to look at it first. I will keep you updated.