PDA

View Full Version : Photon 48?

Levi
09-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Anyone have any thoughts to add about this fixture? I am placing an order in a few weeks unless I find out some information that changes my mind. So far I really like the unit and I have had great experience with their customer service so far.

http://www.reefbreeders.com/photon48.html

Thanks

HBL
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I know Joe runs this exact one. As for me, i swap out my old w/b leds for the full spectrum photon 32. I liked it. Color and growth are great. If you order it, make sure to ask Logan if it comes with the new controller, as it has bugs worked out. When I told him mine has problem, he sent out a replacement in a couple days.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Joe
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
No problem at all with mine. The only annoyance is if you lose power you will have to reprogram it. It takes just a few minutes to do that, so I'd say no worries with it.

Levi
09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
any concern that if you go on ebay you can see led lights with the exact same controller? the new controller is it just a difference operating system or is it a whole new controller?

HBL
09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
No problem at all with mine. The only annoyance is if you lose power you will have to reprogram it. It takes just a few minutes to do that, so I'd say no worries with it.

Hey Joe, ask for a new controller. It will fix that problem.

HBL
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
any concern that if you go on ebay you can see led lights with the exact same controller? the new controller is it just a difference operating system or is it a whole new controller?

I think the new controller have some different parts and bugs worked out with the software. If you buy one now, I think it will come with new controller installed.

On that note, reef breeder, ocean revive, reef radiance, etc. are all selling light make by the same chinese distributor (evergrow or something like that), though each have some unique look of their own or leds' layout. Nevertheless, they do carry some of the exact light. These companies being the middle man, operating business in the US, tend to offer better customer service than order straight from china.

Levi
09-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Well last question is with a 75g would it be better to go with a 48" fixture or two smaller ones?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Joe
09-11-2013, 11:23 PM
It depends on the dimensions of your tank and your personal preference. If you are focusing on soft corals you don't need as much light. If you want SPS dominant, you would want more. The two fixtures are brighter than the one 48. I don't remember the difference, but if you look at the descriptions, you can see the watts, number of bulbs, spectrum, etc.. I have a two mixed reefs and have two 32's on the 220 gal, and a 48 plus an EVO 120 on the 180 Gal. I think either way works about the same. If you want to be able to have one side come on and go off first, sort of like the sun is passing from one side of the tank to the other, then two fixtures should be a consideration.

HBL
09-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Well last question is with a 75g would it be better to go with a 48" fixture or two smaller ones?

Does it have a center brace?

If yes, I would go with two smaller ones.

If no, then the photon 48 will give a better even spread. Even if you have two islands style rock scape (one left, one right), it will give you good lighting for corals on the sand bed. However, if this is a sps dominant tank, then I would look at the rock scape before deciding one long or two short lights.

Levi
09-12-2013, 04:28 AM
Well the 75 does have a center brace but I was planning on having a new top made out of stainless steel angle to make it sturdy enough to not have any center bracing....thoughts?

HBL
09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
my preference is no center brace because it makes it easier when working on the tank. However, I have no idea about how strong the steel angle would hold. Thus,the down side is that even stainless steel will slowly rust overtime with saltwater. And from what I have read, it is a pain to remove those rim and brace on the standard glass tanks.

Levi
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
So how do you get rid of a center brace on a standard 75?