PDA

View Full Version : Help with identity and removal of macro algae

Hydroid
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi im new to the forum and fairly new to reef keeping. I bought/rescued an establish/neglected tank about 6 month ago

Everything has been going great, but now I have this red macro algae taking over my tank. it is now on almost every rock and very tuff to physically remove. I think it might be calcified. The best I was able to find is it is Dichotomaria marginata but not sure. I know most wouldn't consider it a pest and i wouldn't if it was just in a refugium, but its everywere. What might eat this stuff. I've heard possibly a tang will, but no positive answers and at only 55 gal is a tang a good idea. The only inhabitant I have the has done anything with it is my emerald crab but I think he is just cleaning other algae off. Hope someone out there has dealt with this stuff and knows how to remove it.

Oh and the green stuff in the picture has not gown or spread much and is very easy to pull out.

Thanks for any information or advise you can give

Murfman
09-02-2013, 12:00 PM
good resource; http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?199-Algae-ID-page&highlight=algae%2Bid

To me, looks like Gracilaria Curtissae http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2098

Tangs love it.

Hydroid
09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Thank you again Murfman .. I heard tangs need 80+ gallons is it ok for my 55

Murfman
09-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you again Murfman .. I heard tangs need 80+ gallons is it ok for my 55

Bristletooth family of Tang would be fine.

Hydroid
09-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Thank you for all your help and it turns out the emerald crap is eating it so it is set for life

codeman01
09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
If you would like to sell any, I would like some for my sump.

Hydroid
09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Not a problem ill stop pruning a small area and let it grow out for you

WatercolorsGuy
09-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I have several groups of this growing in my 90g fowlr...I love it. My powder blue and tomini pick at it occasionally but don't really munch on it, unlike my dragons breath. I like the color and texture it gives..plus it seems hardy as heck.

Joe
09-03-2013, 07:55 PM
I would like some too if you grow out enough.

Hydroid
09-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Ok! not sure how fast it will grow but ill let it grow. everyone is welcome to realy small pieces now if they want.

Maybe ill move some to a small tank with constant light and try to get it to grow faster sounds like a fun experiment.......