PDA

View Full Version : Giant Aiptasia

elthznd901
08-04-2013, 08:02 PM
So I have plenty of aiptasia.. to be honest I let them grow as I thought they looked cool..lol I think they are starting to sting some of my fish occasionally as they are getting huge. Ive notice a few marks that seem to disappear over the course of a week.

Is there any fish or invert that eats aiptasia this big?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/elthznd901/IMAG0351_zpsc20bba75.jpg

tang keeper
08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Some butterfly fish, maybe a batfish, i think a peppermint shrimp, not sure

coach
08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow, that's a huge ...... I'd go with mrs. Wages pickling lime. Mix up a little paste with ro water and shoot it in its mouth. It will take it in and be dead.

elthznd901
08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Wow, that's a huge ...... I'd go with mrs. Wages pickling lime. Mix up a little paste with ro water and shoot it in its mouth. It will take it in and be dead.

lol thats one of 3 that big .. with 2 pretty close behind!!

Git_r_done2x
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
I doubt you will find anything to eat the big ones. You will most likely have to kill those off by zapping them or I have used aptasia x in the past with great success. Just have to be carefully to only do a couple at a time

kmellon
08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
something that big should be easy to feed some calc paste to.

Polworts Plunge
08-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Something that big will take your d**n hand off!!!! LOLOL

Murfman
08-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Better off taking it out of the tank and removing it manually. Aptasia release cells to reproduce, when threatened so you could effectively be adding more to your tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptasia

OscarMike
08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
That's actually very pretty!

I think you need sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads

freedominco
08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I would take the rock out and torch those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elthznd901
08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up mixing up some pickling lime and water and using a meat injector on the big ones. A few look like they are done, but some look like they may need another injection. :) I think I will pick up something that can eat them to pick off the small ones.

Pacec
10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I usually cover them with a shell when they're small, they migrateonto the shell, then just kill them or chuck the shell.

Levi
10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Lol never seen them that big. I'm a fan of them in the overflow box but only there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Pacec
10-21-2013, 01:15 PM
That was the largest I've ever seen.

One other trick if you can remove the rock is to put it in a clear container with water like during a water change, leave the container next to a window or another light source and they will often migrate off to the side. Obviously only works if you can remove the rock. It's worked for me with small ones.

Levi
10-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Don't they "breed" by migration, basically as they migrate they leave bits of themselves that grow into new adults?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Pacec
10-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I know they can spread by leaving bits behind. I've partially aspirated some after an attack on some others with kalk paste. i used a 5cc syringe and an 18gauge needle, unfortunately a few that were aspirated came back but not all. On the frags they have migrated off, I haven't seen any return. It has worked well for me if they're on a frag. I just set it off to the side for the day near the window. The aptasia usually migrate off and the frag is clear.

I got some berghia nudis, unleashed them near a few and only saw them a few times. They're nocturnal apparently. I swear I saw one get eaten by one of the larger aiptasia. I thought that might be part of their mechanisms to kill the aiptasia. Now, I think it just lost.

Haddonis reef
10-26-2013, 02:12 PM
If u can remove the rock and use a blow tourch to smoke the bad boy! Then rinderpest rock in salt water real good!

Murfman
10-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I am trying an experiment. I cleaned out a lot of the aptasia growing in my tank today. I found one rock with 3 littles ones on it and pulled it out. I soaked it in pure hydrogen peroxide and will observe the results and report back here. Normally, I cut them off the rock with a razor and then super glue the area they were attached to.

Levi
10-26-2013, 11:59 PM
does that kill everything else on the rock as well? thinking of dosing the tank or injecting directly?

Murfman
10-27-2013, 08:11 PM
does that kill everything else on the rock as well? thinking of dosing the tank or injecting directly?

Takes out anything on surface. Great at killing algae too.

Pacec
10-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Takes out anything on surface. Great at killing algae too.
I've used it on new frags to attack pests, but I usually dilute it. It definitely works on algae. I'll have to try it on aiptasia if your experiment works.

I've taken rocks out to treat algae, injected next to the algae and dosed the whole tank. Use small amounts and go slow if trying to kill algae. I went too far once too quickly and lost a few corals. Most of the time zoas look better after an initial bubbling effect on the surface.

Murfman
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
didn't work on the aptasia. I didn't keep it in there that long though, maybe 4-5 minutes.