PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Back In!

TheFishOne
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Greetings!

I have recently decided to get back into reefkeeping! Have lots of experience under my belt but havent had any tanks recently because ive been constantly moving! Now that I have some normalcy, I am going to start over.

I have had several tanks with the largest being a 220 LR tank with a few zoanthids and LPS, a 120 Reef Only and a multitude of smaller tanks but had lost them so many girlfriend breakups ago. ;)

Right now all I have is an 8 gallon Hexagon tank with 20 pounds of black bio-activ beach sand, a HOB filter, Some Instant Ocean and 3 pounds of Fiji Live Rock. The ONLY reason im starting in that is because I can see into it, otherwise would have been a 20 gall rubbermaid.

-->I simply HAD to get started and I KNOW that 8 gallon would annoy me into finding a great deal on a 75gal or better on the internets!<--

But I figure if I get the nitrogen cycle going with that one rock, Ill have my end tank ready to go in 3 months, while the 8 gal gets relegated to quarantine tank.

With that said, im happy to be a part of these forums, hope to become a member in the future, and also hope to meet some or all of you as well!

My brain has decided I will have a tank somewhere between 65-125 gallons. (I like bigger better, and I MAY do a 12"x36"x36" tide/frag pool.)
That tank will have HOB and Canister Filters, 5x turnover in tank current flow rate, Refugium, Intermittent BioBalls use, minimal sand bed, maximum live rock (100% Fiji OR Tonga), TBD on zoanthids and else, minimal/no fish. Im particularly torn on LED lighting because I have always had my heart set on a 250w MH but the LEDs look so good!

This go-round I am married and I have tighter budget concerns, but we will see how it goes!

hooked
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Welcome to our group. let us know if you need anything. looking forward to meeting you.

static reef
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Excited to see your build thread. Welcome to the club. If you need anything let us know

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

lsaint
06-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Welcome!!!

TheFishOne
06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

To be honest, I am in need of everything! I intend on a) Scouring Craigslist, Pawn Shops, and Goodwill/Thrift stores for equipment. b) Barter/work for fishy goods, and c) Purchase the rest from the internets.

Ive seen some pretty good deals in the Pueblo area (Im in Pueblo West) and I just don't have the cash to get any of those. I wont have any dispensable hobby cash until next paycheck or so.

I am considering putting good money into having a custom tank cut locally because I would like to have in/outflow pipes on the rear of the tank... but is it really worth it when I can find a 75gal for 15 bucks? (yesterday someone got one that cheap.)

I am staring at this 8 gallon and it it just not enough after tending to hundreds of gallons. (Was LFS guy in the East)

Well, back to scouring!

Murfman
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Welcome to our lil family ;-)

TheFishOne
06-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Since all I have at the moment is this little nano-nothing, you can check out my old old 7/2006 125 gallon tank here. The Tank (http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic90965.html)

Its the only evidence I got that im not just a stinkin newb. ;)

I posted relatively little at LMAS since that was during the buildup of my first and second saltwater tanks. During this time period I had hair algae that was longer than 6", my sand bed was like 6" or something obscene, and there was very little coralline algae on anything at all. The_Fall_Guy of LMAS was there to help me and taught me a lot. He suggested I build a refugium and change some things.

After just 2 months, and playing with this refugium, chaeto and caulerpa, 90% of my Fiji rock was bright purple, and my other rocks had other colors such as intense maroon and yellow/golden. I applied this refugium principle to everything else and have had excellent results. My fish became insta-happy. I had a bloom of cyanobacteria and red slime algae once the hair algae was gone, then once that "rusted away," I was left with a pristine tank until i broke up with the GF and had to part my tanks out.

(I really dont have anything else to talk about because my 8 gallon is not worth talking about hehe)