PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Coral Help

JustNCredible
03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Hey guys so my tank is done cycling and I'm getting ready to get some beginner coral. What are some good options that wouldn't require me to use dosing pumps etc. (I have an AIO so I don't wanna add a whole lot to this system)

I'm figuring zoas, shrooms, acans? mb

Some advise would be helpful. I'm running a JBJ Led system with par ratings good for pretty much any coral minus some high light intensive sps lps.

Please list coral names, any easy dosing if needed/feeding frequency's if needed

lsaint
03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
My first corals where a hammer and a frogspan in my 14g Biocube

stacy_vennes
03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856

Murfman
03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Mushrooms can take over your rockwork, if you are not careful with them. So can some Palys and Green Star Polyps. Although they are great beginner corals, they grow fast and can get out of control. Ricordea can too. Think about what you want your tank to look like in 2-3 years and do research.

Kio707
03-29-2013, 12:28 PM
If you want, I have GSP and toad stool I'm doing a pay it forward. Free and easy coral. I'll give you a smaller piece of GSP to ensure you like it.

David

static reef
03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
my advice is to start with a couple of corals in your tank for a few months and see how you do. This will ensure that you understand on how to maintain you dkh, calc, mag, and ph. Make sure that you are getting corals that you see yourself enjoying 3-4 years from now. Corals that are easier to maintain typically grow extremely fast, to the point that they will end up outgrowing and consuming territories of other corals. Mushrooms, palys, zoas, toadstools, and other softies are the normal type of corals that we start with. However if you are going to start with these then make sure that it is a coral with good color. A huge problem with this hobby is impulse shopping instead of patience. A lot of beginners will start off with a cheap paly like button polyps and than find themselves trying to sell them within 6 months. Corals like cloves and green star polyps are very easy to keep and can provide great color to any tank but they grow extremely fast. To counteract this growth rate try placing it in a section that it will not spread onto any other rocks like the top of a tower like rock or on a rock in the middle of your sand bed. when the coral starts to spread onto you sand you can easily cut it and sell or give it away to another new hobbiest.

static reef
03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
With all of that being said I would recommend zoas and palys maybe a green nepthia to start off for the first month or two. You will not see much of a flux in your tank parameters as these do not typically consume to much. Coral vibrance is an exceptional food that can be purchased from reefkoi (premium club sponsor) and will last a long while in your tank for a pretty cheap price. I would stay away from any deepwater zoas, darth mauls, and fruit loops (name brand Palys/zoas).

******Do not buy a kenya tree if you can help it.
Hope all of this helps. Just keep researching and asking. Hopefully we can get you to avoid making the mistakes that we have done time and time again

hooked
03-31-2013, 05:25 AM
If you are interested. I have a small colony of bambam zoas to get you started.