PDA

View Full Version : Losing Fish

glaw1966
03-20-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a newer tank currently a foxface and a small dwarf lion, I have a long tentacle anemonoe and have had several fish die over night. They have been larger fish and wondering if the Anomone could be killing the fill?Here is what the anenome looks like.2120

static reef
03-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Could be a lot of things. Water parameters ok? Heater explosion? Salinity? Pumps went out and restricted oxegyn? Foxface excreted pouson

These are a few blocks to check to start you on some trouble shooting. My first guess is that you had a nitrite spike. So check on these and get back to us and we will go from there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

glaw1966
03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Water parameters ok? Water is good. Heater GOOD Temp is around 76-78, Salinity GOOD in the safe for marine tanks? Pumps went out and restricted oxegyn I have my pumps on a back up system and if we lose power they stay on. Foxface excreted pouson Have no idea on this. I Found a clown was taken by the anenomoe and at first I thought it was the sebae i put in the day before because i saw the tail of a clown, but was losing fish prior to that. I then placed a bunch of mysis shrinp on the anenomoes and the LTA appeared to spit out a body of a clown. This got me thinking that the other fish may have been caught but were to big for the LTA. So I am lost.

Murfman
03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
What are your tank parameters? How long has it been set up?

glaw1966
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
It's a 55 gallon and has been up for 3 months.

glaw1966
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Actually had a brain freeze it was set up in October. so going on 6 months

Chadrw79
03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
That nem looks like a condylactis anemone which yes has been know to and can kill/eat fish.

Now alternatively if you have lost fish (meaning died in tank) and did not remove you could have ammonia issues. Def need to report back with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels before diagnoses can begin.

glaw1966
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone, ChadRW I will test the water again for those, I have taken the fish out as soon as I saw them. I even put a UV in the system. I am going to buy a breeder box to put the anenomoe in for now to see if any other fish expire. I will let you know the levels in the water when I get home.

Thank you everyone again......

glaw1966
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Okay I have the anenomoe in a breeder box so it is getting the circulation and we have a Alantic Blue Tang in the tank with the other fish and it is now a hurry up and wait with fingers crossed I will have a Alantic Blue Tang still by this weekend.

I have tested the water with strips and good. However; I decided to go back to the drops and everything turned out great with no issues with any of the levels. I hope that it was the Anenomoe because I want to start having more fish. If it is for some one who wants it I am willing to have some one purchase the Anenomoe for a low price basically to cover the crab that is living with it. Or we could come up with a trade of some sort.

Murfman
03-23-2013, 06:07 AM
I'd much rather have the Atlantic blue ;-) let us know how it is going, with the tank and potential losses. It sucks loosing things when you don't know what is wrong or going on.

glaw1966
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Okay check out the for sale/trade page

Murfman
03-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Okay check out the for sale/trade page

Does that mean the Atlantic blue is available?

glaw1966
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Just getting rid of Anomone,