PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm outbreak

drumland
02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Ok so i have discovered that my tank has flatworms. It looks bad currently. I bought flatworm rx by blue vet.
Has anyone used the product? Any advice? Is there a better way?
Also does anyone know if this product is safe for anemones?
I would like to get rid of this problem ASAP obviously. Any help is appreciated.
All I have other then the nem is some zoanthids...that is how I think the flatworms came into my system.
Thanks again

Murfman
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I have used flatworm exit and it worked great. Get a Wrasse, 6 line or yellow coris to naturally prey on the flatworms, after you have dosed. You want to suck out as many dead ones as you can so you don't get a toxin spike.

Reefkoi
02-24-2013, 03:15 PM
I knew a guy that had em pretty bad and could squirt a whole bottle of that blue life crap in there they wouldnt die, now Ive always used salifert flatworm exit and they die right away, all of them

drumland
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
The flatworm exit...is it safe for anemones?

Reefkoi
02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
yes its safe for everything you wont even know its in the water it doesnt cloud or anything.

Djmm1177
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I've been told that nudibranches do we'll for flatworms?

drumland
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I have used flatworm exit and it worked great. Get a Wrasse, 6 line or yellow coris to naturally prey on the flatworms, after you have dosed. You want to suck out as many dead ones as you can so you don't get a toxin spike.

Ok so I have tried both flatworm treatments and even purchased a wrasse. I can't seem to shake the flatworms. Any additional help would be appreciated.
Thank you

719bloodhound
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
did you do a second treatment like a week after the first?

sweat044
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
What size tank do you have? When you say outbreak do you just see one or 2? Or is it when you turn your lights off your rocks are covered with flatworms?

Joe
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Reefs2go has velvet nudibranchs for $27. Shipping would be a factor, but if you do a group buy, you could knock it out.

drumland
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
What size tank do you have? When you say outbreak do you just see one or 2? Or is it when you turn your lights off your rocks are covered with flatworms?

I have a 55gal. They congregate on the bottom of the glass rite next to the sand. I see probably 20 to 30. I can not really see them on the rocks. They are for lack of a better term shaped like the chest emblem from the old star trek show. Pointy at the top and U shaped at the bottom.

static reef
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Not sure on spelling but a melanaurus wrasse will normally help on flat worms. at least it worked for me a few years ago

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Campbell
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
+1 my melanurus eats anything it can find especially if its small and alive lol

Murfman
03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I have a 55gal. They congregate on the bottom of the glass rite next to the sand. I see probably 20 to 30. I can not really see them on the rocks. They are for lack of a better term shaped like the chest emblem from the old star trek show. Pointy at the top and U shaped at the bottom.

that is a flatworm. You tried Flatworm Exit and they still exist? Yellow Coris wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, the Melenarus, as mentioned, Picture Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse will all eat them. Try dosing again and get a wrasse.

drumland
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
that is a flatworm. You tried Flatworm Exit and they still exist? Yellow Coris wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, the Melenarus, as mentioned, Picture Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse will all eat them. Try dosing again and get a wrasse.

Murfman thank you for all your help on my beginner questions. I bought a 6 line wrasse...that seems to be the only one you didn't mention. Is there are reason for that?
My tank is unfortunately already at capacity with the 6 line added as I only have a 55. Thoughts?

Murfman
03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I didn't list it because I didn't think about it at the time. They are one of the most prolific eaters but can get a little aggressive toward other Wrasses.

kmellon
03-13-2013, 08:41 PM
And other fish that are slender like them. I had one constantly case a couple of jester gobies until one died and i had to dismntle all of my rock work to get the other one out.

drumland
03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
More Help please
Ok so multiple treatments of flatworm Exit have been completed. Every time the flatworms get wiped out it seems and then I find more in the tank. I did the treatment 2 days ago and today i see about 10 flatworms on the glass.
I did a heavy treatment double the dose as the single treatments didn't seem to work. My Anemone is freaking out, most zoads are gone...4 snails dead, starfish not doing well either.
Any additional help or advice would be appreciated.
I did add 2 pumps into the tank to create better flow prior to last treatment.
Thank you

Coral Xpressions
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
You're probably just not getting the eggs out. If need be I'll place an order for some RPS All Out. Here's the information for it. LMK

http://www.reefpestsolutions.com/#!rps-all-out/ctb5

Kio707
03-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Feed less. It'll starve them. Also look into a wrasse, most eat them.

David