PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my lighting!

Parker Knowles
02-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Hey everyone, I need a better light for my tank so I can start getting more coral. All I have right now is a 2 bulb power compact light over my 75 gallon. I know this is barely enough for softies. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for lighting, and It can't be too expensive cause I don't have much. I was looking at this t5 light fixture. Let me know what you think of it and if there's anything better! Thanks much.
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Light-Hohood-Fluorescent-Actinic/dp/B007P55GJ8/ref=sr_1_123?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1358008315&sr=1-123&keywords=saltwater+fish

stacy_vennes
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
well those will work but don't expect to get crazy growth and colors that you would with either LEDS or metal halides but at least you can always upgrade later and just to give you a helping hand when you do your next upgrade in lighting we highly recommend the Evolution 150w dimmable led fixture that Reefkoi sells we had that fixture over our 75 gal for 2 yrs and never had one issue and had great growth with it kinda on the expensive side of lights but it works and works well good luck and have a good one

Campbell
02-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Well I think you've stepped into a world of turmoil when it comes to reef lighting at the moment. Some swear by LEDs, some halides, and some T5s...

For me, and in my opinion, I see more pros with LEDs as I see cons. Last longer with less degradation over time, color is amazing, growth is excellent, and you save when it comes to the electric bill. Not to mention they put off a fraction of the heat of other lights.

Halides are great lights and have some explosive growth rates in most cases but are not cost effective with electric bill cost. They also put off excessive heat and could rise a need for a chiller but not necessarily. You will also consistently replace bulbs as they degrade over fairly short amounts of time.

T5s I have never run but have heard nothing really bad about them besides bulb replacement getting expensive. Fair growth has been seen under t5 lighting including a lot of sps tanks...

In my opinion, LEDs will pay for themselves over time. Although you may have to reach a little deeper in your pocket to begin with, I think they are well worth it. Chinese fixtures sell fairly cheap and can be found on amazon, aliexpress etc. There was also a thread here titled "I'm done" I think where he was selling a few 14k led fixtures for 150 a piece if I remember correctly...

blue71
02-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I currently have a 4 bulb fixture and a 2 bulb over my 125. They're both AquaMedics. While they're good quality; I wouldn't buy them again. Save up and buy LED's. They're waaaay nicer.

Parker Knowles
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone! I now think I'm gonna go down the road of LEDs. It will be worth it in the end if I just pay a little more than I wanted to in the beginning. I'll look around and see if I can find some on the cheaper side. If you have and recommendations on LED fixtures post the link for me.
Thanks again!

static reef
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Chris at reefkoi.corals. he is local and cheap. The EVO slums ate dimmable and super brute. I have never had a problem with his fixtures and I have them over all three of my tanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Parker Knowles
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Chris at reefkoi.corals. he is local and cheap. The EVO slums ate dimmable and super brute. I have never had a problem with his fixtures and I have them over all three of my tanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

How many for a 75 gallon?

Parker Knowles
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm looking to get two of these for my 75 gallon. Tell me what ya think!
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-AL02-Aquarium-Output-Ratio/dp/B005INXMOA/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_03_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1