PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in need of some help!

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Hello everyone, Im 15 and getting into the saltwater hobby. I have had a passion(addiction) to the saltwater hobby every since I saw a beautiful show tank at my local aquarium. I have set up a 100 gallon salt tank a couple months ago and added everything that was needed for my tank. I got the live sand, live rock, proper filtration, waterflow, additives to maintain proper levels in my tank, inverts, fish, and was ready to start adding coral to my tank but realized I could go no further with the single 40W T8 bulb that lights my tank. My tank has been at a standstill since I have no funds for a proper light for my tank. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on coral and it die because I don't have proper lighting. I want to be able to keep soft coral in my tank along with a few sps. Can anyone help me with my situation?
Thanks much, Parker

sweat044
01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. Are you looking to buy a light or suggestions?

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Looking to buy and suggestions but I don't have much funds as everyone knows its a very expensive hobby.

kmellon
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Parker,

Feel free to post some pictures of your current setup as well as dimensions. There are a lot of equipment collectors here in the group and someone might just have what you need for a reasonable price. As far as type of lighting. LED seems to be on the rise as prices are coming down. You can also find a lot of used MH setups as people move from them to LEDs. Metal Halide can really help with growth, but can cause heat issues and higher current draw. Since you mentioned Softies, you might not need that much power.

You are also welcome to join us at our January meeting this Saturday.
http://www.thescmas.com/forums/content.php?202-January-2013-Meeting

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
The tank is 48in long, 18in wide, and 20in tall. I will post pictues of the tank asap. Thanks for the info and I hope I can make it to the meeting! Glad to be on the forum!

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Im wondering if any reef junkie out there has a light fixture for sale that would fit my tank. Maybe they upgraded to a better light and don't need it anymore. I don't have much money but I am willing to pay a price for it. I am wanting to keep mostly softies in my tank for a while and then work my way up to some sps. Anything helps!

Git_r_done2x
01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
I have a 4 bulb power compact fixture that is 48inches long. Does need need bulbs I believe. It's in my storage unit so I don't remember off hand. Would be enough to most softies.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
How much are you looking for it?

Git_r_done2x
01-24-2013, 08:50 PM
It Probably won't be until next week some time before I can pick it up but you can have it

hooked
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I have some used PC bulbs here that you can have also. Not sure of their condition. They are square pin though. Don't know what git r done's fixture has for pin config.

bemidji87
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
I also have a power compact light unit that I replaced with an LED setup a few months ago. I still have the old bulbs as well as a newer set that is installed. I'll check the dimensions on it and see how it would fit. You may be able to use the bulbs to get the Git-r-done2x's hood running, or you could use my two bulb setup until the 4 bulb one becomes available. For your size of tank, the 4-bulb setup would be better, but two bulbs will work in the meantime. Rob

303travism
01-24-2013, 10:12 PM
It Probably won't be until next week some time before I can pick it up but you can have it

You the man Git

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll take all of it! Thanks so much guys, it means alot! Git_r_done2x text me and we can figure out where and when to meet. 7208912603

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
I have some used PC bulbs here that you can have also. Not sure of their condition. They are square pin though. Don't know what git r done's fixture has for pin config.

I'll gladly take them just in case got r done's fixture has four pin config. Text me and we can figure out where and when to meet. Thanks much!

Parker Knowles
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I also have a power compact light unit that I replaced with an LED setup a few months ago. I still have the old bulbs as well as a newer set that is installed. I'll check the dimensions on it and see how it would fit. You may be able to use the bulbs to get the Git-r-done2x's hood running, or you could use my two bulb setup until the 4 bulb one becomes available. For your size of tank, the 4-bulb setup would be better, but two bulbs will work in the meantime. Rob

I'll take it for the meantime until I can get got r done's light. Text me and well figure out a place and time to meet up. Thanks so much!
Parker

Parker Knowles
01-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Since I don't have pm privileges yet is there any way to message Git_r_done2x? He said he had a light for my tank and I'm interested in getting it from him.
Thanks

Git_r_done2x
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
I do have it still and you can still have it. It is in my storage unit and I Probably won't be able to get to it until the weekend

Parker Knowles
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Ok text me (720-891-2603) when you get it and well figure out a place to meet.
Thanks much

ShakingHorizons
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone, Im 15 and getting into the saltwater hobby. I have had a passion(addiction) to the saltwater hobby every since I saw a beautiful show tank at my local aquarium. I have set up a 100 gallon salt tank a couple months ago and added everything that was needed for my tank. I got the live sand, live rock, proper filtration, waterflow, additives to maintain proper levels in my tank, inverts, fish, and was ready to start adding coral to my tank but realized I could go no further with the single 40W T8 bulb that lights my tank. My tank has been at a standstill since I have no funds for a proper light for my tank. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on coral and it die because I don't have proper lighting. I want to be able to keep soft coral in my tank along with a few sps. Can anyone help me with my situation?
Thanks much, Parker

I think it is awesome that you did your research before throwing corals in your tank that you are unable to sustain, especially at 15.

Parker Knowles
02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I think it is awesome that you did your research before throwing corals in your tank that you are unable to sustain, especially at 15.

Thanks much, I always make sure I have my research done before I make a decision in this hobby.

blue71
02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure I went to middle school with you. I have a dual bulb AquaMedic t-5 unit. Could use new bulbs. Maybe $20?

Parker Knowles
02-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Pretty sure I went to middle school with you. I have a dual bulb AquaMedic t-5 unit. Could use new bulbs. Maybe $20?

Thanks but I need a little better light for my 75 gallon.