PDA

View Full Version : CF or LED

Euphillia
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I am only setting up a 20 and only planning on keeping softies in the tank. With that said if I got something like an all in one LED set up would I need to worry too much about it?

I really want to keep the heat down as I am sure we will have another hot summer and I frankly do t want to have to keep going out and buying new bulbs.
Thinking of going with something like this

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marineland_Reef_Capable_LED_System_with_Integrated _Timer_Flexible_Mount_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquar iums-Marineland-AS330011-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

It's affordable for a small tank and so far the biggest downfall I can find are the moonlights aren't really moonlights, just the blues staying on. I can just set those to turn off and I'm not horribly worried about a moonlight at this point

Thanks for your input
Christine

stacy_vennes
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
www.reefkoi.com

reefmaster719
01-13-2013, 08:37 PM
T5s have wayy better growth then leds and put out barely any heat. There's a nice t5 setup made for 20 gallon tanks you should look at.

stacy_vennes
01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
t5 didnt do anything for my old 75 i went led and everything went crazy on growth. but some people have had good luck with t5. Just do alot of research led are also energy efficient (keep the elec down) :) they can get hot but thats why they have built in fans :) also if putting one in a canopy you can put a vent in the canopy to help. research research. its all preference everybody here has there favorite light. also check into diy lights.

SpaceOps
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
T5s have wayy better growth then leds

Really?

These were taken after only a couple months under nothing but DIY LEDs. The first is a pocillopora meandrina. Notice all the new growth. It was a nondescript brown before the LEDs, and was turning purple after. The second is an ORA Red Planet and an ultimate milli.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/PociMeandrinaJul2010.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/UltimateMilliandORARedPlanet.jpg

What do you mean by softies--shrooms, kenya, xenia or zoanthids?

reefmaster719
01-13-2013, 08:54 PM
It's all in your water quality good sir. Those look great tho.

Euphillia
01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Im a big zoa lover, some mushrooms and xenia, manybe a toadstool.Im not going to be doing any SPS or LPS. And since it's only a 20 I'm thinking LED is probably ok. I am planning to just leave the top open, no canopy and using whatever legs the fixture came with. I like to have it open. I've used CF before and was fine, I'm just really looking for long term cost efficiency and I like the sleekness of the LED fixtures

reefmaster719
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Leds look awesome if your doing softies like zoas. Great color.

Euphillia
01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Yea that's what I have been reading. I'm really leaning that direction

hooked
01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
for soft corals I don't thing you could go wrong with LED's. I think you will be dissapointed with that marineland fixture though.

Joe
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
If you can come to the meeting on the 26th, I have several different types of LED's running and you could compare them.

I had a 40 tank with T5 and Metal Halide, and a 46 tank with LED right beside each other for a while and I went with all LED on my bigger tanks when I moved up. I think my corals have been very happy with them. I have a wide variety of corals and I think I am getting really great growth and color.

I have a couple of different kinds of lights I will be posting for sale soon. Actually they are the ones I had on the 40 and the 46. You could take a look at them too whenever you'd like. If you are trying to make a decision before the meeting, you can come over any day this week and take a look.

I agree with Doyle, you probably won't be too happy with the Marineland light. For about the same price you could get a used 120W LED that has been proven locally to be suitable for coral growth.

Coral Xpressions
01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
I've never had halides or T5's so LEDs are all I can give an opinion on. I've got three 120w 20K units over my 180 and I grow EVERYTHING from coraline to chalices. My Zoas, Palys, Kenyas, and other leathers grow out of control (hence why I DBTC them alot..lol). Only thing I;ve noticed about LEDs over other lighting is my SPS grows a tad bit thinner or less thickness in the stalks, but they are growing none-the less. And of course, my LEDs make all the colors pop. Everyone is going to have their own opinions on what grow better under what. Best thing you can do is look at different tanks with different lighting (and maybe some of the same corals to note subtle differences) and decide what you want. I've got colrals that were under halides and/or T5s before and they grow just as fast and look just as good if not better. I'vealso got corals that I see others keeping under halides or T5s and they don't look as good. YES, water quality and husbandry do play an important factor. But I run four 120w LEDs along with the rest of my tank and house and my electric bill averages ony $120 a month and I've got on of the more expensive utility companies. There is slim to none when is comes to heat generated by my lights as I struggle to keep my tank at 77, lol. My house is always open and you are more than welcome to swing by at take alook. I run the same LED over my 30 breeder frag tank and I;ve got everything imaginable in there as well.

stacy_vennes
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
+1 bushman.

Euphillia
01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
So instead of going with a strip light, do a pendent instead? I am I understanding that right? When I left the hobby 4 years ago LED's where just starting to hit the reef world it seemed so I feel totally dumb to it. As I was looking I was starting to wonder what the difference was. I am going to spend a darn month trying to figure this out!! Any good places for me to get an understanding of LED wattage and what I need to be looking for?

freedominco
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
So instead of going with a strip light, do a pendent instead? I am I understanding that right? When I left the hobby 4 years ago LED's where just starting to hit the reef world it seemed so I feel totally dumb to it. As I was looking I was starting to wonder what the difference was. I am going to spend a darn month trying to figure this out!! Any good places for me to get an understanding of LED wattage and what I need to be looking for?

Yes, go look at some tanks with lights that you are considering, it might be tough finding a tank with cf lights that is bigger than an bio cube and most bigger tanks run LED's or MH. I use too run T-5's but got tired of bulb replacement and inconsistencies in color among the same spec bulbs. I went to LED's about 3 years ago and my growth and color are better with the LED's then the t5 hands down. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euphillia
01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
So as far as pendent lights are concerned would I need more than 1 or would one work? I got a 20 tall so not as much surface area to cover

Chadrw79
01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Imo unless you plan to use a kessil you will be wasting time and money messing with 24-36w par bulbs. My suggestion is to buy one of reefkoi's 100w dimmable 5 bulb color led panels and not only call it a day but call it the next 10yrs. As your money saved bulb replacement and energy consumption will be paid off in 2-3 years vs halides and or t5s.

* no I don't work for reefkoi but I am not only a proud owner of 3 -120w, 20k led panels but I am also an ex-sworn t5/halide user :D

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2458

hooked
01-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Imo unless you plan to use a kessil you will be wasting time and money messing with 24-36w par bulbs. My suggestion is to buy one of reefkoi's 100w dimmable 5 bulb color led panels and not only call it a day but call it the next 10yrs. As your money saved bulb replacement and energy consumption will be paid off in 2-3 years vs halides and or t5s.

* no I don't work for reefkoi but I am not only a proud owner of 3 -120w, 20k led panels but I am also an ex-sworn t5/halide user :D

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2458

I agree. If it fits your budget this is your best bet.

Euphillia
01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Im all about buying small business and supporting local. I was looking at those on his site and that answer helps me a ton. Thanks guys!!!

Euphillia
01-15-2013, 09:04 AM
And here is an awesomely dumb question, If I go with a that fixture how do I mount it? I don't have a way to hang the fixture from the ceiling and I am not planning on making a hood for it.

hooked
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Is the tank sitting on a stand? A simple bracket can be attached to the stand that will work. Reefkoi also sells hangers that sit on the rim of the tank.

stacy_vennes
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
course too if you don't want to hang a bracket on the tank or the stand you can also buy the hanging yoyos that reefkoi sells and then install two ceiling mount hooks above your tank and then attach those to the hanging kit that comes with the light and then use those to adjust your height above the water level anyways good luck and don't be afraid to experiment with different setups

Euphillia
01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Cant do anything from the ceiling, 12ft vaulted and we rent...just a no go. I'll look at those stands and hubby s a machinest, I bet I could get him to fabricate me something

hooked
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Cant do anything from the ceiling, 12ft vaulted and we rent...just a no go. I'll look at those stands and hubby s a machinest, I bet I could get him to fabricate me something

That's perfect. I'm sure he can set you up.

coach
01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
I wanted to share these pics of the growth I got from my evo LEDs. I got them last January when the before pic was taken. This purple digitata frag has had insane growth.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa426/tobyswisher/th_image-1_zpsecc28061.jpg (http://s1197.beta.photobucket.com/user/tobyswisher/media/image-1_zpsecc28061.jpg.html)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa426/tobyswisher/Sps%20growth/th_image_zps0c6854b3.jpg (http://s1197.beta.photobucket.com/user/tobyswisher/media/Sps%20growth/image_zps0c6854b3.jpg.html)

SpaceOps
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
It's all in your water quality good sir. Those look great tho.

You need the big three: water quality, flow, and lighting. If you're missing any of them, your tank will suffer.

Regardless, compact fluorescents and LEDs will both work. My personal preference is DIY LEDs.

Euphillia
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Well I picked that bad boy up today...don't look directly at it. VERY BRIGHT. Extremely impressed. Now hubs gets to make a plan for mounting.

Super happy with it already.

SpaceOps
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
If anyone remembers Pieter van Suijlekom's Feb 2006 TOTM ON reefkeeping.com, I found an article that that talked about his recent switch from 5960 watts of halides and VHOs to 1600W of LEDs. He's using 16 Orphek 100XP pendants on his 18 foot reef tank. That's a 73% decrease in lighting wattage.

SpaceOps
02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I figure that someone with enough cash to have an 18 foot concave front glass tank built, then have part of your house built over it, woukdn't be risking his investment with inferior technology. There's nothing special about the Orpheks except they have 100 1 watt LED emitters on a single die. They actually list how many of each color they use in their fixtures.