PDA

View Full Version : Science teacher newbie

Chris
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a science teacher in Castle Rock. A few of my students talked me into starting a salt tank this year. I've kept freshwater plant tanks, usually occupied with rainbows, for years. I started with a few pieces of live rock from a student and 20 lbs of live rock from Joseph. On one of the rocks from the student are a couple of heads of hairy mushrooms, I also got a rock from Joseph that is loaded with xenia and a beautiful little chalice. I find myself staring at the tank anytime I'm free, not sure why it took me so long to get into marine tanks. I love my plant tanks, but this is fun! I'm doing a lot of homework to make sure we're doing this right and I didn't know you could keep such amazing corals! I also think the pay it forward page is such a great idea, I'm checking it everyday, on a teachers salary I'm learning this isn't the easiest hobby to get into! Plus, paying it forward is something I try to instill into my kids and students. Excited to be a part of the forum!

ritmar
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Welcome Chris.

Joe
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Chris, welcome to the hobby (addiction). Our January meeting will be at my house in the NE part of the Springs on Jan 26th. I hope you can make it.

I will give you a small birds nest, a Kenya tree, and some nuclear holocaust zoas if you would like them. You don't have to come to the meeting to get them, you can stop by anytime. Also check out my thread about mandarin fish breeding under the captive propagation category. I'm just getting started, but it sure a science project for me.

lsaint
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Welcome Cris

I had a science teacher in high school that had a saltwater tank to. I would always sit next to the tank. That was the reason why I started my tank. Good luck with the tank

hooked
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the club.
I too keep a planted tank but have been neglecting it as of late.
Try to make our meeting this month, it would be good to meet you.

sweat044
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Chris. Can you please email me at sweat044@hotmail.com. Since you don't have PM rights yet. I would like to discuss a few things with you.

Badgervet
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Hey Chris Welcome! Let us know a little about your setup (size, type of lighting, etc) in your class room when you get a chance. I work in Castle Rock and donate 1-2 green mushrooms and a small frag of red dragon's breath macro algae if you want them. LMK

TAllen
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to the club.

Murfman
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Welcome Chris. What a great way to spread the hobby, with kids. What ages are you teaching?

Amphispur
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Welcome Chris! Awsome that one of my teachers is joining the club :D

kmellon
01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Welcome Chris. We hope to see you at he meeting coming up.

SpaceOps
01-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Welcome, Chris.

Sa$$y
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome to our club of reefers- everyone is great here and always willing to help. Hope to meet you at the meeting!!

stacy_vennes
01-11-2013, 10:40 PM
welcome chris and main then is PATIENCE and we love pictures.

Campbell
01-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Welcome Chris!! Everybody has to have some sort of addiction. This one just happens to be one of the more constructive ones... Good luck!

Chris
01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Wow guys, heck of a welcome! Just to answer a few of your questions. I teach high school biology and zoology, and I consider it part of my job to give my students constant stimuli (I've got fish tanks, reptiles, skulls, and mounted animals) that will get them motivated and excited to think outside their boxes. To say I love what I do is an understatement! My tank is 30 gallons with low to moderate (actinics) light and flow. I absolutely love the coral tanks I've seen on the forum, although it broke my heart to see that ritmar (great to chat with you today) was breaking down his tank. The corals I have so far seem to be growing, but I know I have a lot to learn! We kind of set it up on the cheap with the extra pieces I had, so I'm sure there's a lot that needs to be added (or maybe modified with what I have!) The filter is a standard hang off the back. Thank you to everyone for offering to stock my tank AND YES I will take anything you think will do well. I've looked up a lot of the corals you have offered and wow are they gorgeous! I've already got plans if everything goes well to frag them in class, tie it into a lesson or three, and pay forward the extras or start my students with their own tanks. As far as the next meeting I definitely be there, I can't wait to meet you guys in person. Oh yeah hooked, if you need some plants for your tank I can bring you as many as you need! Thanks again for the very warm welcome and I'll see you all soon.

Polworts Plunge
01-11-2013, 11:21 PM
People here are top notch, quality people. And fragging is fun! LOL. Wear gloves ang goggles!

zfriedrichs
01-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Welcome. We had a saltwater tank in my HS science class that first perked my interest in the hobby - neat project!

Chris
01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey Joe-

I will definitely be there, can't wait to meet you and everyone else. If it's OK with you I'll get them at the meeting, no way I can get down there before the meeting. See you then!

Joe
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
You can pick them up at the meeting, no problem.

katahdinkid
01-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I have a 175w Metal Halide w/VHO hood I can donate if you want to run more light demanding corals, I cant promise the bulbs aren't phased out but its a solid runner.

bemidji87
01-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Chris - Do you need a skimmer? I have a TurboFloater 1000 that I'd love to donate. It came with my setup I bought off Craigslist and I have since replaced it. It can go in a sump or hang off the back.

Rob

Chris
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Hey katahdinkid and bemidji87. I can definitely use the lights and skimmer! I can get you guys donation receipts if you like too.

Chris

sweat044
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I was thinking that maybe as a club we could help with this tank and really make it great for the future reefers. Chris, let me know what you think.

bemidji87
01-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Are you coming to the meeting on Saturday? I will bring the skimmer if you are. If not, we'll work something out.

katahdinkid
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
i'll try to swing by the meeting with the MH light if you plan on going or having someone gather up supplies.

Chris
01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I'll definitely be at the meeting today! Can't wait to meet all of you guys. My students have been so excited with the new tank, most can't get over the fact that even the stuff on the rocks is living and an animal. They're also amazed at how fast everything is growing, me too! So Sweat if you want to take my tank on, I would be totally indebted to you.

Chris
01-27-2013, 09:57 AM
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the "family" yesterday at Joe's.

Chris
01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
What a great way to bounce info off each other or in my case get as much info as possible!

hooked
01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the "family" yesterday at Joe's.

Chris,
It was great talking with you. I Think what you are doing at the school is fantastic.

Chris
01-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I know we have a lot of work to do and a LOT to learn! I don't have pm privileges yet and need to contact Joe, any options? When I got back to the school to drop off the coral a toadstool I won in the raffle wasn't there. Thanks Doyle

hooked
01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I bet I have it. There was a toadstool left but I didn't see a name on it. So I brought it back home. I'll get it to you somehow. I'm heading to Hawaii this week, but I'll make sure that you get it when I get back.

Dallas
01-27-2013, 12:11 PM
You poor thing!! Have fun out there. TAKE PIC'S!

Chris
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Awesome news Doyle! Have a great time in Hawaii! Talk to you when you get back.