PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about closed loop and sump

Oberst Hajj
12-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Just need a Noob check here. It's still possible and recommended to run a sump system with a closed loop system correct? From what I understand, the sump is for filtration and the CL is for flow.

Murfman
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I am guessing from your ? you are asking if you can run your display tank on a closed loop and use a sump for filtration? You are correct in that the CL or CLM (Manifold) is for circulation. The pump has an inlet (or more) and multiple outlets. The water never touches air as It is in direct contact with the pump and plumbing at all times, once it enters the inlet. The majority of your filtration comes from your live rock and live sand. You can add more to your sump and even turn you sump into a Refugium (fuge). This is a refuge for small critters to thrive and not be eaten. They then break down your detritus even further. You can skim in your sump/fuge; you can add more rock/sand to your fuge; you can add all kinds of macro algaes to your fuge to uptake nitrates.

stacy_vennes
01-01-2013, 05:30 PM
simple answer yes we run both and we love them

ritmar
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
simple answer yes we run both and we love them

+1.

Oberst Hajj
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm looking at doing a CL system to have the cleanest look inside the tank, but want to do the sump (+fuge I think) to help clean the water more. My goal is to have a nem/clown tank and the nems really need good flow and good water conditions... at least that's what I've read so far.

Campbell
01-01-2013, 11:14 PM
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153667

I would definitely check this out if you are looking into getting any anemones in the future... Not that you wouldn't do research prior to getting one but there is a lot to know about them...

Oberst Hajj
01-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks Campbell. I've not made it the threads on Ultimate Reef yet, but I've been reading up on both nems and clownfish for the past week, for many hours a day! There is so much out there to learn about, I guess it's a good thing I've got a few months before I can get the tank and at least 6 more months after that until it/I would be ready for the first nem.

Campbell
01-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Yes there is an incredible amount of information on nems and for that matter, everything that has to to do with the hobby... Just in the last year I've gained an insane amount of knowledge on a crazy spectrum of this hobby and I'm barely tipping the iceberg... Some of the veterans on this forum are more than knowledgable on many aspects of this addiction and can help you through just about anything... Good luck on getting the new tank and I'm sure you'll love it!!!

Murfman
01-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Nems can get sucked through the inlet on a closed loop. I had one do that in my old 125. Something to keep in mind when designing it.

Oberst Hajj
01-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks Murfman. It seems that powerheads are a lot more prone to producing nem soup, another major reason I was looking at CL. Did you have any type of cover or screen over your inlet?

stacy_vennes
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
well we have a strainer over ours but the suction on it is extremely powerful but you can hide it with rock work and stuff like that to keep the nem from finding the inlet and getting sucked down and shot back through the outlets but anyways good luck in the coming months

Campbell
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
There's a website that sells fiberglass "gutter guards" perfect for covering CLs and overflows... Ill try and find the link again for you

Murfman
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Murfman. It seems that powerheads are a lot more prone to producing nem soup, another major reason I was looking at CL. Did you have any type of cover or screen over your inlet?

I did but it was strong enough suction to pull it right through the inlet strainer. I had 2 inlets to one pump too.

Oberst Hajj
01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I guess there is no way to keep the nems completely safe. lol

Murfman
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I guess there is no way to keep the nems completely safe. lol

I built a box out of eggcrate to surround one of my inlets. This keep the fish away. Might work on a Nem.