PDA

View Full Version : What salt to use?

Oberst Hajj
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
It looks like we will be going with a FOWLR tank this first time around. We will want to add some nems 6 months to a year down the road.

What type of salt would you recommend for this?

Dstyrc
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
The regular instant ocean should be good enough, im actually sure it is. If you go mixed reef i would recommend maybe switching to instant ocean reef crystals but i did use the regular instant ocean brand for 2 years before i went to a more expensive brand.

Joe
12-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I have a 150 Gallon FOWLR tank I am planning on selling. I haven't really decided how I'm going sell it. You can take a look sometime next week when our company leaves and see what you think, or at least get some ideas for when you set yours up. I have 3 picasso triggers, niger trigger, puffer, panther grouper, snowflake eel, dwarf lionfish, a damsel, a knobby red starfish and two anemones in there.

stacy_vennes
12-27-2012, 04:58 PM
i use instant ocean in the buckets. i have never had a issue with the product. I think its 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon of water

reefmaster719
12-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Does anyone have a problem with cloudy water after water change with instant ocean salt?

Murfman
12-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have a problem with cloudy water after water change with instant ocean salt?

Not if you let it go for a day or so, before putting it in the tank. IO is the base for most of your higher end reef salts. Most major aquariums use IO by the ton.

Bigfoot610
12-27-2012, 05:53 PM

put a powerjead in yur mixing bucket for a good 1/2 hour before your change

Oberst Hajj
12-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a 150 Gallon FOWLR tank I am planning on selling. I haven't really decided how I'm going sell it. You can take a look sometime next week when our company leaves and see what you think, or at least get some ideas for when you set yours up. I have 3 picasso triggers, niger trigger, puffer, panther grouper, snowflake eel, dwarf lionfish, a damsel, a knobby red starfish and two anemones in there.

Hi Joe, we'd love to take a look at your tank sometime. You have several of the fish that we were thinking about getting, so it would be nice to see how they all interact. What are the dimensions on your tank?