PDA

View Full Version : Basic components needed to set up a reef tank?

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Okay, there is so much information out there and so many opinions on brands and models, it's hard to filter out exactly what components you need to setup a decent reef tank.

Please don't list bands and models, just the type of equipment that you need. So far the obviouse ones are:

Tank
Stand
Lights
Live or dead rocks
Live or dead sand /substrate
Heater
Skimmer
Pumps (but I'm not sure how many or what each is really for)
Sump with or with out refugium

What else is there?

Dallas
12-25-2012, 09:02 PM
I would defiantly go with live sand and some live rock. I am sure you can get some for fee to seed your tank. I can give you about 5-8 lb that are in my sump. What size tank are you looking for? A big questions you will get is Size, Class or Plex, and what type of lights? O are you going with a Sump? Something that I have learned is go with 2 heaters that a small rather then one big one, so if it brakes and sticks on you will not cook your tank. Some guys and girls got with more then 2 depending on the size of the tank.

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/3458380918.html

Here is a idea of a 75g that mite need a top witch is easy to make.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3496316462.html

O if you need help moving your new tank if an when (lets just stick with when) I would like to help more and I have a truck.

hooked
12-25-2012, 10:01 PM
http://www.garf.org/bulletproofreef/bulletproof.asp

Here is a good site to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like there are quite a few good deals out there to be had. Unfortunately, with Christmas just past us, the funds for this are not there yet. But that bow front is very tempting, almost enough for me to use my own cash for it. lol Santa did give me $200 today.

Murfman
12-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Some kind of Controller
RO/DI unit for making water
dosing; either dosing pumps, by hand or Ca and Kalk reactors
Canopy or screen covers to keep jumpers in.

sweat044
12-27-2012, 09:28 AM
What size of tank are you looking for? I have a few just sitting around. Let me know.

Murfman
12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Water storage containers.

Oberst Hajj
12-27-2012, 10:47 AM
What size of tank are you looking for? I have a few just sitting around. Let me know.

We have two spots we are looking at putting a tank. The first choice (right now, lol) is a 78"x28" area. The other location is a 48"x24" area. Those are the max sizes, so the stand would also have to fit those. We are flexible on the tank/stand height.

I should also mention we are not at the buying point just yet (unless a crazy good deal came along). We want to do this up nice and with Christmas just over, we have to wait a bit to get started. Looking at the tax return to fund most of this (the wife does that as early as possible though).

Joe
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a 72" wide 220 gallon, and the stand I built for it takes up 74.25" inches. It sticks out 26" inches. It's drilled so the overflow and return lines don't take up additional depth. It would probably need at least 5 inches more if it wasn't drilled (reef ready). I determined the stand height by sitting at my desk and measuring where my eye level would be about 1/3 of the height up from the bottom of the tank. Take into account how you will be viewing it to determine the height you want. One downside of a tall tank sitting up high for me is I have to use a step ladder to be able to lean over the tank and reach down to the bottom. I'm not tall, so that was almost a given anyway, but it's something to consider.

I would add a good grabber stick ($10), a refractometer to measure salinity(used around $20-25 to $40 or so new), a barrel for storing the RO/DI water, a barrel for mixing your salt water, and good test kits to your list of components because they are really vital for ease of maintenance.

For pumps, you'll at least need one to push the water back up from the sump into the tank. I like having another one in my salt barrel and another heater in there to mix the salt water and get it up to temperature before putting it in the tank for water changes. A good siphon hose with a ball valve on the end to stop the flow is really helpful for water changes too. I got an absorbent mat with a waterproof bottom to lay down in front of the tank to catch drips when doing water changes or moving things in the tank. If your tank is on carpet, it will come in handy. I used towels for a while but find this way keeps the floor dry better.

Add powerheads to your list too unless you do a closed loop system where a separate pump circulates water from your tank right back into your tank to create flow. Using multiple powerheads with a controller to set up alternating flow is a common practice. You can get a calculator to let you know the recommended flow here (http://www.liverocknreef.com/tank-flow.html)

Art
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I,m also looking to purchase some live rock and sand today to seed my refugium.
I would appreciate any reply
I can drive to your denver metro or c springs location
Cash in hand
Thanks,
Art

Joe
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I have probably about 90 pounds of live rock that is in great shape. text me at 719-377-7352. I don't have any sand for sale, but I can scoop up a cup or two to send with you. I'm in Colorado Springs.