PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about joining the submerged world

Oberst Hajj
12-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Keith and my wife (Jessica) and I are thinking about setting up a tank. She sees it more as a better option then a big piece of furniture in a semi-empty spot in our house. I see it more as a hobby and something really neat for our kids to grow up with. We have two girls 10 and 9 and a son that is 2.5. The 10 year old loves fish and has had some type of FW tank (10g or less) for about 4 years now. The son is also fascinated with watching any tanks we take him to see.

I joined the site (along with Reef2Reef) to do as much research as possible about we might be getting into with this endeavor. I had a 55g FW setup about 16 years ago, but that's my only real exposure to the hobby (I know, completely different world, lol).

I look forward to talking/posting with everyone and learning as much as I can from local people. Thanks for making this site available.

KEith

hooked
12-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the SCMAS. You have found a wealth of knowledge here. Looking forward to meeting you and the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campbell
12-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Definitely welcome and kudos for researching and learning before getting a tank... You will see that it will help you immensely to do everything right from the start as opposed to jumping in to it without knowing exactly what it is your actually jumping in... Patience is key!!

stacy_vennes
12-24-2012, 10:53 PM
+1 campbell. Patience. welcome any questions feel free to ask

notxes11
12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
welcome. a good place to start is by going over to a few members houses and seeing what they have. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that would be glad to show off! welcome to my place, but i have a frag tank,only. still welcome to come by and talk shop tho.

Coral Xpressions
12-25-2012, 12:01 AM
welcome. a good place to start is by going over to a few members houses and seeing what they have. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that would be glad to show off! welcome to my place, but i have a frag tank,only. still welcome to come by and talk shop tho.

+1. Mi reef es su reef..lol, welcime over anytime, just need a heads up to throw a shirt o

Bigfoot610
12-25-2012, 12:23 AM
+1. Mi reef es su reef..lol, welcime over anytime, just need a heads up to throw a shirt o hes been hitting the eggnog lol Welcome to the party make sure to plan your tank i jumped in head first when i first started and wasted alot of money on junk and stuff that i thought would work take your time ask as many questions as you can think of of we made the mistakes for you :)

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I'd love to check out some of your tanks, Looking and asking questions is probably the best way to learn this stuff.

I will not have the funds to start anything until the tax return shows up (if the project gets the green light), so several months to bush up on what I want/need. The technical aspect of the setup be left solely to me, but the tank will be going in the main living area of our house, just off the kitchen and dinning area and living room. That means the wife is going to insist on it being nice looking (with little to no mechanical parts showing), quite, and not producing a lot of heat.

Coral Xpressions
12-25-2012, 01:41 AM
so several months to bush up on what I want/need.

Lol. I see what you did there

Murfman
12-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Welcome, Keith. Glad to see you make the journey over here!!! How big of a space do you have? Do you have a basement underneath where you want the tank to go?

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey Murfman,

The spot we have for a tanks is 48" long, 24" wide (if we go standard rectangle shape) and height is only limited by how hard it'd be to clean and maintained (really tall ceilings). It is on the main level, and only finished basement underneath. I'll grab some pics of the spot today if I can and post them up. I should have done that to begin with.

Bigfoot610
12-25-2012, 12:00 PM
you can start with an under tank sump but if you have extra utility space in your basement a remote sump/ fish room is the way to go hands down and you keep the gus of your system hidden and you have alot of room to do other things like frag tanks and large refugiums

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 12:44 PM
you can start with an under tank sump but if you have extra utility space in your basement a remote sump/ fish room is the way to go hands down and you keep the gus of your system hidden and you have alot of room to do other things like frag tanks and large refugiums

Fortunately, or in this case unfortunately, I have almost no unfinished basement in the new house. I have about a 3'x3' open area in the utility closet and the small storage room is on the other side of the house... and packed! lol

Oberst Hajj
12-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Not sure why the site is down sizing two of these photos so much and not the other, but here is where we want to put the tank.

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2061&d=1356461540

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2066&d=1356462205

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2067&d=1356462211

You will notice in that last photo that the stairs go down right below where we want to place the tank. I don't think that should be an issue weight wise, anyone have thoughts on it?

Dallas
12-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Welcome, I am so happy that you are asking all the right questions before spending the money and making all the mistakes. I hope you find this site and every one on it helpful.

kmellon
12-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Keith,
Welcome to the group. There is a wealth of knowledge and hard learned experience here to pull from.

By the way, it looks like you are placing the tank close to a starwell. Possibly the first floor or the main level? Keep in mind the overall water volume and weight associated with the water, rock, tank, and other equipment. 48" would give you a nice 120 gal display and maybe another 30 gal in the sump.

Other things to think about are if you want to put all the equipment together yourself, new or used, and if an all in one would be best suited for you. Oh and how much money you think you want to invest. We still have Mr. Aqua and Seascapes here in the Springs and the North Petco if you want to swing by a LFS.

Oberst Hajj
12-26-2012, 09:18 AM
What a difference a day can make! Apparently, the wife has been thinking about this more on her own and has give thought and decided that we could move a large book shelf/display case she has to the basement... freeing up a 78"x28" area for a tank!! So, looks like I could be looking at up to a 200 gallon tank now! Man, does that change everything!

Joe
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
You caught the fever before the tank even made it into the house! I pretty much did too. I went from a 46 bowfront, to adding a 40 breeder, getting a 150, a 180, and a 220 in about 5 months. Now I have an extra 150, 55 gal sump, two 40 gals, one 10 sump, and a spare 10 gal sitting in the garage. I pared it back to just the 150, 180 and 220 running, but I still have taken over three rooms and half the garage (with all the spares). I'm thinking about letting my 150 go, which I have set up as a FOWLR predator tank. It's very cool, but the cost of keeping three big tanks going is going to be too much after a while.

Lately I've been doing a lot of setting up...... obviously. I did some DIY stuff and sorted through several pieces of equipment in the process. I have a build thread on here in the large tank section of the forum.

I couldn't have done any of this if I just walked into the store and told them what I wanted. I did a mixture of craigslist, SCMAS, and MASC shopping and got some really good deals.

If I can help you, let me know.

Joe
12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll also give you a DBTC (don't break the chain) frag of Hollywood Stunner if you want it when you are ready. I'm paying it forward.

Oberst Hajj
12-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks Joe! Actually, I'm surprised at how much my wife seems to have caught the bug! I had her talking about building a in wall tank this morning. lol

Actually, she was curious if someone would be willing to come by our place (Powers and Woodman area) and take a look at the spot she thinks we can put the tank. She wants to know how we could set it up and just get an idea and feel for some things from someone that has a tank... just not from me researching online. lol

Dallas
12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks Joe! Actually, I'm surprised at how much my wife seems to have caught the bug! I had her talking about building a in wall tank this morning. lol

Actually, she was curious if someone would be willing to come by our place (Powers and Woodman area) and take a look at the spot she thinks we can put the tank. She wants to know how we could set it up and just get an idea and feel for some things from someone that has a tank... just not from me researching online. lol

Murfman lives in that area and has a great looking 200g+ tank. Not trying to throw you under the buss Murf. But I am sure you will have a guys knocking on your door to night lol. You will find that there a lot of reefers out here off powers. I am at Powers and Constitution. If you ever would like to stop by my house is always open. But there a a lot nicer tanks out there.

Oberst Hajj
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks Dallas, we used to live off Powers and Const. as well... it's a rental prop for us now. I'd love to come by and check out some established tanks, but with 2 kids, it can be hard to arrange the time for both me and the wife to get away.

hooked
12-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Murfs tank is a 300 gallon. And he is a wealth of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stacy_vennes
12-26-2012, 08:42 PM
three tanks to see when planning big systems in no particular order murfmans 300g in wall bushs 180 stand alone tank and ritmars 240 inwall but weight is going to a factor anytime your putting a big tank over a basement anyways good luck and take care

Oberst Hajj
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
I've freed up some time today and if anyone is willing, I'd love to check out some of the local tanks and meets a few people. Anyone game? I'm not quite at the post count for PMs, so feel free to shoot me an email at colhajj@wingsofwar.org or call/send me a txt at 661-0161

Keith

Coral Xpressions
12-28-2012, 09:46 AM
text sent. i assume 719 area code?????

Oberst Hajj
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes, it's a 719 area code.

Murfman
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I've freed up some time today and if anyone is willing, I'd love to check out some of the local tanks and meets a few people. Anyone game? I'm not quite at the post count for PMs, so feel free to shoot me an email at colhajj@wingsofwar.org or call/send me a txt at 661-0161

Ahhhhh but you are at the post count!!! Is that an Albatross in your avatar?
Keith

Oberst Hajj
12-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, I was not when I posted the initial post. And yes, that is an Albatros from Jasta 5 as my avatar. I noticed the Cobra artwork above your fireplace and the other Aircav items.

Murfman
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, I was not when I posted the initial post. And yes, that is an Albatros from Jasta 5 as my avatar. I noticed the Cobra artwork above your fireplace and the other Aircav items.

Hoooahhhhhh, I was Cav 12+ of my 20. Started with Cobras and then went Kiowa Warriors then 1 Co of Apaches, then back to KWs.

Oberst Hajj
12-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Cool, one of the guys I work with flow KWs. His name is Brian Grablin... ring a bell? My life long love has been aviation... of any type. Never got my license, but used to fly (fixed wing) quite a bit back in high school. I joined the AF and never flew again. lol

Murfman
12-29-2012, 06:50 AM
No, can't say it does. On my bucket list is to fly in a WW I fighter ;-)

Oberst Hajj
12-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Do you have your fixed wing license?

Murfman
12-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Do you have your fixed wing license?

no, sure don't.