PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and gentlemen! Introducing greaseballpaul!

greaseballpaul
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Hey everyone. I am a new guy here to learn and make friends. A little about me...
Screen name is GREASEBALLPAUL here and on several other different interest forums.

Real name is CHRIS here and anywhere I happen to go.

Tanks and sizes: currently have 5.
12 gal aqua pod salt established 5years but with me a month now.
3x 75gal freshwater cichlid tanks. One is drained now waiting to be filled and converted to a mixed reef project.
150gal cichlid tank in the living room. Most cichlids are African but there are a couple south and central Americans mixed in here and there.
I live in Peyton and am from northern VA. I don't want my kids growing up in the city so here is likely where I will be for the next 16 or so years.

I have had tanks, fish bowls, reptiles, rodents, crustaceans, brids and you name it most of my life on and off. Since moving to CO a few years ago I have returned to the hobby of collecting fish and managed to get my 4kids and wife into my passion.

My intention when I started up a 55gallon 3 years ago was to have a few tropical community fish. Being from sea level the dry climate here was really rough on all of us so the tank would serve well as an attractive humidifier that I would enjoy replacing the evap in. It started out innocently enough I suppose but then we discovered the amazing coloration and outstanding consciousness and personality of African cichlids.... Well, like most any hobby backed by any amount of passion, that tank (and cichlids) led to us having one in every bedroom and a nice large display in the living room. I am fortunate enough to have an understanding family as my tank stuff takes up a lot of storage space and my time.

Clearly salt water offers SO much more color and personality that it was only a matter of time. My oldest son got the itch mid October this year and decided he was ready to give me his fish for the display tank and have a reef in his room. Originally we had hoped to be in our own home before we set up a reef tank (we rent now). That was a great plan but considering I have been fighting that same itch since I was his age... Enter plan B.

African cichlids are the most

Larrypueblo
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome Chris aka greaseballpaul

stacy_vennes
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the madness!

freedominco
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Hey Chris it was really nice meeting you tonight, hope your son like the space monsters and the orange zoas. Once your 75 get started I have some other frags to help get you going.

TAllen
12-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the group. We would love to see some pictures of you tanks.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Freedom, thank you and it was great meeting you too. They stand out in there very nicely. Can't wait till they open up fully. J will love them for sure.

Everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome! I will get some pictures up tomorrow sometime. They are nothing super special but I am proud of them. I have built stands for 2 of them and hoods for 3. All have wet dry under tank filters which are just DIY but that's what I prefer anyway. The aqua pod is all in one of course and only a month old (to us) so diy led lighting is the only mod it has seen so far.

I would have replied earlier but once I got home I stripped the current USA t5 dual that lights the boys' tank out of the housing and installed it into the canopy under a much wider reflector. There is a ton more spread now than there was in that housing. Not only that, I can get to the bulbs to replace them now. It was near impossible in the tiny housing...

Murfman
12-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Welcome Chris, although we have chatted via email ;-) What part of NOVA? Family is in Manassas and Amissville. Great to see you find us. Let see some pix. There is a FW section too for those Cichlid tanks!!!

hooked
12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Welcome Chris.
Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your systems.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Stafford va. Manassas is about 20-30 min from there. It's between Quantico and Fredericksburg on the highway.

Here are a couple small pictures of the 150.

Joe
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome. I look forward to meeting you. I lived in Stafford from 2005 to the end of 2009. I was at Quantico for OCS and TBS in 90 and 91.

Murfman
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
My daughter and son live down by Newport News so I drive by Stafford all the time. Have a few friends live in F-burg.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Here is one of the nano.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Ah... Va beach area. I had a couple friends go to college at Christopher Newport (believe that was the name) down that way. I used to go to va beach once a month for a weekend. The ocean is about all I miss about va besides my family.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Tbs is off 610. I lived about 5min from there in 90. Then came all the traffic lights and build up. That place is more like Woodbridge / dale city now. Massively built up and populated.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I am never surprised when I meet people here from NVA. I can buy 5 times the house here for what I would get there. Besides clean air I would imagine that is what draws most of us out this way.

kmellon
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group. Where in Peyton do you live? We have several members in Flacon including myself and one of our sponsors ReefKoi.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm here by the schools. Just inside the Peyton line. The greenhouses, I forget the company name, are by me too.

greaseballpaul
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Oh and depending on what uncle Sam decides to do and how my tax return looks I plan to visit reefkoi. Freedom had nothing but good today about his stuff (he mentioned a few must see collections in other members tanks as well) and what I see on rk's site along with posts from members after buying anything from there, I figure I will need to have a pocket full of money when I go....

stacy_vennes
12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
he's a great guy and has a lot of good stuff we used to go there all the time to get stuff but do plan to order from him in the near future

greaseballpaul
12-18-2012, 12:40 AM
I may be too anxious and wind up dropping by there early next year. April seems so far off. It's killing me waiting till christmas to give j his aqua pod. I have him convinced his tank is drained (the boys' 75) because his fish were sick. He is suspicious since his fish went right into the 150. I just played it off saying it was the water perams and not an illness.

Badgervet
12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the club and the area! I'm a Va Beach transplant myself with good friends still in the Northern VA/DC area. I hear you about missing the ocean!

stewart.anderson
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome Chris

greaseballpaul
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I left a few friend behind I would have rather brought along. I'm still in contact with the coast over there from Maine down to fla, not every state but several. I sure don't miss the city or the stupid traffic though. I would love my kids to grow up by the water like I did. Hopefully once they graduate we can wander back over and land in Fla. That's where I want to retire so maybe I can get them into college there too. We shall see.