PDA

View Full Version : Modify existing LED?

Romebaby
12-13-2012, 04:14 PM

The LED I got with my tank is pretty basic. 119x 1w lamps with a heavy white ratio 72:47. Single corded with no dimmer. With the tank I also got 3x stunner strips and 1x panorama strip. The 4 all blue strips look pretty good by themselves but the main light with all the white overpowers them and I don't like the mostly white look. My questions are:

1. Would it be worth the time/effort/cost to swap out about half the whites for blues?
2. Can I add another cord to power the whites & blues separate?
3. Can a dimmer be added the way it sits? (which would just dim the whole unit)

I'm thinking that even if I swap out some of the whites I still may not get the look I want without a dimmer. And if I can put a dimmer on it, I may not get enough PAR for the corals. Can't afford AI right now. Leaning toward buying a new one, 2 corded, dimmable, 3W lamps on ebay ~$200. So many out there though, not sure which!

What do you think? Thanks, John.

hooked
12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
1. Would it be worth the time/effort/cost to swap out about half the whites for blues?
It can be done relatively easily. If you decide to go that way I can help you out.
2. Can I add another cord to power the whites & blues separate?
It depends on the drivers that are inside the unit. Sometimes they are not seperated
3. Can a dimmer be added the way it sits? (which would just dim the whole unit)
Likely not. The drivers that are in most of those units are constant current and non adjustable without alot of effort.

As far as enought PAR for your corals if you dim them. Depending on your tank depth, you have more PAR than you need anyway. Murfman is running 1watt led's in his 3' deep tank.

Romebaby
12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
So if I flip the ratio around for starters I'll need 25 1w blues. Where would I get those and what would be the approx cost? If it's fairly cheap I may try that first.

reefmaster719
12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Hooked has a great site to check out. Forgot the name but very good leds for cheap.