PDA

View Full Version : Tap Salinity???

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Okay so I felt a bit curious today as I am doing a large water change and well I wanted to see what the salinity of my tap water was. From my kitchen sink I took and filled 20 gallons into my mixing tank and with my refractometer it measured at 0, is that possible?

Just wanted to test it correctly so I took some water from the RO/DI water supply and it came up with 0 as well. I am not going to mix the salt into the tap water but I was just wondering if this was possible.

Murfman
12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Okay so I felt a bit curious today as I am doing a large water change and well I wanted to see what the salinity of my tap water was. From my kitchen sink I took and filled 20 gallons into my mixing tank and with my refractometer it measured at 0, is that possible?

Just wanted to test it correctly so I took some water from the RO/DI water supply and it came up with 0 as well. I am not going to mix the salt into the tap water but I was just wondering if this was possible.

That the water reads 0 from the tap and RO/DI? Sure thing, it should read 0.

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Right Paul, however does that mean I am wasting money and time with my RO/DI system? Is it okay to use this to add salt too and go that route?

Murfman
12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Right Paul, however does that mean I am wasting money and time with my RO/DI system? Is it okay to use this to add salt too and go that route?

nooooo you are not wasting money with the RO/DI. That is taking out heavy metals and impurities, not salt. You should measure TDS in and then out.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/TDS

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I rememeber now, it has been a while since I have looked into things like that..

GrassHoppa'
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM

I think you have salinity and TDS mixed up. You'll see your salinity go up when you add your salt. The rodi water should read zero on your TDS meter

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah I did get mixed up there oh well I was happy for a moment...now I am making 20 gallons of RO/DI water and then if that finishes tonight I will mix the salt in and then water change tomorrow...if not I will have to wait.

GrassHoppa'
12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I have some extra water made if you need it

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
No, I don't need it right noww just doing a large water change and want to get it done this week.

stewart.anderson
12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
If you ever need water I got my RO unit working.

Joe
12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Stewart, did you get your rock set up yet?

gpkozmp
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
thank you Hoppa and Stewart I have my RO/DI unit going and I need to check on it...I have flodded my bathroom too many times and hell I am pretty sure I will have to hide the damage to things but hey what fun is it if you don't have a good time...

stewart.anderson
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
yes got my rock, water, and sand in it.