PDA

View Full Version : Educational LED videos

SpaceOps
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I was thinking about creating a presentation on how LEDs work, and things you need to consider when designing your own LED system, but there are already some excellent videos on YouTube. These are some really good ones.

This is a must-watch video. Although it begins with 1 1/2 minutes of advertising, is an excellent video to watch to learn how an LED actually works, and how an LED is constructed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQq8W5xu3c

The Tampa Bay Reef Club came up with this excellent series of short videos: http://tampabayreefclub.org/2010/07/diy-led-lighting-presentation-videos/

Video 1: Structure of an LED; series circuits vs. parallel circuit advantages/disadvantages
Video 2: LED hardware: LEDs, lenses, power supplies, heat transfer/removal methods, LED colors, light output vs. temperature, electrical current control
Video 3: lenses increase PAR (although PAR of colored LEDs does not compare well to MH); LED changes over time; LED hardware sources (sources have changed since then)
Video 4: Heat sinks
Video 5 & 6: DIY LED system show and tell

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
well i think you should do your Owen video! seems 2 me that a lot of things have changed and more info now and they didn't cover a lot of what people have been talking about and asking in this forum

SpaceOps
10-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to come up with some slides that supplement what's in the other videos above (which are excellent videos, by the way). It's basically how I would design and build an LED system. There are dozens of variations, so people can take away what they like and ignore the rest.

Oh, and I'm not Owen.:icon_eh2:

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
LOL sorry meant own video lmao

reefmaster719
10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Would love to see step by step slides.

SpaceOps
10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Would love to see step by step slides.

Slides aren't suitable to show things like soldering technique, and different size tanks require different numbers of LEDs.

reefmaster719
10-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Step by step videos to get us started I mean.

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Slides aren't suitable to show things like soldering technique, and different size tanks require different numbers of LEDs.

well i'll make it easy just use my tank. be more than happy 2 let you design and build the leds for my tank lol and just to show you how willing i am to help you out i'll even let you pay for them but only if it will help you out that is LOL

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Spaceops i do have a serious question about optics. Do you need them? if you do what would be best? 40,60,80,90 for example my tank is 24 deep 24 wide i wold love 2 do clams on the sand bed can i do that with leds?

reefmaster719
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Your tank is a cube??

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Your tank is a cube??

no it's 84" x 24" x 24" but how cool would it be 2 have a 200 gallon cube

reefmaster719
10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh ok. That's a nice size tank.

Larrypueblo
10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks

SpaceOps
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Spaceops i do have a serious question about optics. Do you need them? if you do what would be best? 40,60,80,90 for example my tank is 24 deep 24 wide i wold love 2 do clams on the sand bed can i do that with leds?

Optics are a personal preference, but I'm going to be posting slides today that include a few slides about the advantages of using them.

Larrypueblo
10-24-2012, 12:48 PM
thanks spaceops looking forward 2 the slides

hooked
10-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I ended up taking all of my optics off of my build. I didn't need the penetration and wanted more dispersion.
Now I don't use them on any of my builds.

SpaceOps
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
That happens a lot. I wonder if it's because LEDs are more intense than people realize when they build DIY LED systems. Lenses focus the light into much higher intensity beams, which is a good thing if you want to reduce the number of LEDs you use, and to reduce the resulting heat load.

I ran a mix, primarily to eliminate the dark area below the cross brace. It'll be covered in the slides.

As I said, lenses are a personal preference, but whether you choose to use lenses or not, it’s important to plan the placement of the LEDs over the tank to maximize the amount of light striking your corals. LEDs have very wide beams (120 degrees or more), so a lot of their light ends up striking the water at a shallow angle and reflects off the surface. Lenses provide a more predictable/controllable light distribution.They also allow you to put the LEDs much higher above the water, providing easier tank-top access while maintaining intensity for the corals.

SpaceOps
10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I guess the nice thing about optics is that they're super cheap. and you can experiment by removing them if you want.

Here's food for thought. By reducing the beam width from 120 degrees to 60 degrees the resulting light is 9 times more intense.