PDA

View Full Version : To skim or not to skim...

sfnt125
10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the community and have a question.
I have a sumpless 20L with AC70 running purigen/chemipure/cheato. I have approximately 25lbs of rock. I am going to purchase a HOB Fuge within the week and run my macro in there. Currently I do 15-25% WC's a week. I feed the 3 fish evryother day and softies evryday with RN's Cyclopeeze.

Ultimately, I want a mixed reef. I am going to deploy within a month my question is, should I buy and run a skimmer? Or should I just train wife to do WC's every week and not feed too much?

On the other hand, the skimmer might be better for livestock if she slacks a little!

Or is it just one more piece of equipment she will have to worry about, like cleaning/draining etc.?

If I do buy one, do y'all have any suggestions? I'd prefer a HOB model but could live with internal if price/performance was worth it. Aqua C Remora, Aquamaxx, Octopus, Tunze, Eshopps, etc....

Please help, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Scott

Campbell
10-21-2012, 10:47 AM
If your deploying for nine months or more, I would say to train her to do water changes regardless... Something could come up and she'll need to do it. A skimmer doesn't replace all the need for water changes but will eliminate a lot of bio-load build-up and free-floating radicals and detritus, which could lead towards a need for a WC.. I would personally still recommend a skimmer as well as at least having her be able to do water changes, dose tank, feed properly, etc. A lot of people run a relief hose from the collection cup atop the skimmer to a bucket or water drum and let the run-off drain into that so they don't have to clean and drain every few days and only have to clean a couple times a month or less. That may be something you want to look into... A lot can happen in the amount of time it takes to deploy so I would spend the time and ensure that your wife knows what you know so that whatever may come up (can be a lot lol) she can take care of as you would, especially in the event that you and her be incapable of communication in cases of saltwater emergencies...

hooked
10-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Also show her how to log in on this site. If she needs help in a hurry someone is always able to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfman
10-21-2012, 11:02 AM
If she keeps doing water changes at that rate, no need to skim, IMO. Skimmers can overflow, based on water height. I know mine is in the sump but I have a shutoff valve in the collection container. I also put the container inside a bucket, just in case.

sfnt125
10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
If your deploying for nine months or more, I would say to train her to do water changes regardless... Something could come up and she'll need to do it. A skimmer doesn't replace all the need for water changes but will eliminate a lot of bio-load build-up and free-floating radicals and detritus, which could lead towards a need for a WC.. I would personally still recommend a skimmer as well as at least having her be able to do water changes, dose tank, feed properly, etc. A lot of people run a relief hose from the collection cup atop the skimmer to a bucket or water drum and let the run-off drain into that so they don't have to clean and drain every few days and only have to clean a couple times a month or less. That may be something you want to look into... A lot can happen in the amount of time it takes to deploy so I would spend the time and ensure that your wife knows what you know so that whatever may come up (can be a lot lol) she can take care of as you would, especially in the event that you and her be incapable of communication in cases of saltwater emergencies...
Should be six months. And I will make sure she's an expert at water changes. Yes, I don't want her to drink from the firehouse so to speak and a skimmer might overly complicate but might not...I guess I'll see how receptive she is to the instruction these coming weeks and decide from there.

Also show her how to log in on this site. If she needs help in a hurry someone is always able to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, great idea!

If she keeps doing water changes at that rate, no need to skim, IMO. Skimmers can overflow, based on water height. I know mine is in the sump but I have a shutoff valve in the collection container. I also put the container inside a bucket, just in case.
So 15-25% water changes 1 x per week for a mixed reef? I was thinking with the AC running floss/chemipure/purigen and a Fuge with macro that consistent water changes would be adequate as well. I thought that maybe with the skimmer she could do 2 x month instead of 4 per (every week). It's a trade off I guess. Just curious what y'all thought of that.

sfnt125
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I bought the Aqua C Remora Nano yesterday. It's a little loud and I have some micro bubbles but sound and bubbles should subside after break in. Anyone know common break in period for these? It's been in the tank running for about 16hrs now.

hooked
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I bought the Aqua C Remora Nano yesterday. It's a little loud and I have some micro bubbles but sound and bubbles should subside after break in. Anyone know common break in period for these? It's been in the tank running for about 16hrs now.

Most Manufactures claim aroung 75 hours to break in.

Bigfoot610
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
even with WC's you will be quite surprised how much you get but its definetly a good idea to have one since you will be deployed more "saftey net" for your tank in case of an accidental overfeed or something. I had one of those took 3-4 ish days to get it going but after that it was gold and only cleaned it 3 times a year just a rinse out with post wc left over water and a bottle brush.

sfnt125
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll just be patient I guess. It's too exciting waiting for a cup o skimmate.