PDA

View Full Version : Algae and other questions

drumland
09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello
I am new to the saltwater gig....loving it so far.
I have a few questions.
1. I am setting up a 55 gallon tank currently. This past weekend I added live rock. Today I noticed that one of the rocks has a brown algae growing on it. It is only on the front of the rock. I do not have any livestock in the tank as I am currently trying to get the levels of ph and alk up.
Any suggestions on what I should do about the algae? Is it as simple as taking a tooth brush to it? Or is it like the red algae where I have to treat it?
2. I looked behind one of the rocks and saw something growing on it. Currently it is clear in color. About half an inch long with tentacles at the end of if. (I was going to try and post a picture but I guess I dont have access to do that.)
3. Lastly I do realize that learning everything I need to know about saltwater fish is going to be a constant for a while. Can you recommend a book or books or a place that could really help me become better educated about this saltwater bug that has bitten me?
Thank you for your time and knowledge!

sweat044
09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
What does the brown algae look like? Does it just rub right off? Or is it hair algae? It sounds like just your tank cycling. Do a water change. What kind of lighting are you running? If it is hair algae cut back the amount of time you are running your lights. What are you using for water movement? Do you have a sump?

drumland
09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
No sump yet just a hang on the back filter....I actually think it is hair algae. I have the T5 lighting system. I am using a power head that puts out 500gph.

sweat044
09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Ok if it is hair algae. How long are you running your lights? Has your cycle completed yet?

drumland
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
It's a new tank so I have been running them about 8 hours. No idea on the cycle...still trying to figure that out.

sweat044
09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok. Cut back the run time to 6 hours a day. Nothing in there so it won't harm anything.

Git_r_done2x
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with cutting down the light cycle. Being a new tank you are most like going to get algae blooms. I wouldn't suggest doing any water changes until after you test your water and see Where your cycle is at. There are a ton of articles online that can give you all the info and explain better than I can what must happen before a tank is considered "cycled"

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

drumland
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Do I have to get rid of the algae before putting fish into the tank...could I add crabs to eat the algae? The levels are all testing like they should. (Nitrates 0, Nitrites0, High range Ph 8.0 and i am working on getting this up with B-Ionic, and ammonia 0. That is what it read yesterday. I will check it again tonight.)

sweat044
09-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Crabs will do ok with the algae but cutting back on the lights will do a great job of getting rid of most of it. I went through the same thing and all the hair algae is gone in my tank. 2 weeks later. Cut the runtime on the lights by 2 hours.

Polworts Plunge
09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello
I am new to the saltwater gig....loving it so far.
I have a few questions.
1. I am setting up a 55 gallon tank currently. This past weekend I added live rock. Today I noticed that one of the rocks has a brown algae growing on it. It is only on the front of the rock. I do not have any livestock in the tank as I am currently trying to get the levels of ph and alk up.
Any suggestions on what I should do about the algae? Is it as simple as taking a tooth brush to it? Or is it like the red algae where I have to treat it?
2. I looked behind one of the rocks and saw something growing on it. Currently it is clear in color. About half an inch long with tentacles at the end of if. (I was going to try and post a picture but I guess I dont have access to do that.)
3. Lastly I do realize that learning everything I need to know about saltwater fish is going to be a constant for a while. Can you recommend a book or books or a place that could really help me become better educated about this saltwater bug that has bitten me?
Thank you for your time and knowledge!

As a fellow new guy as well, my best recommendation is to read these boards and ask questions. Trust me, everyone here is really cool about answering just about anything. Another thing I do (which can be kinda fun) is to Google the crap out of stuff. If I go into the For Sale threads and someone has a list of corals for sale, I Google every single one and look at the images and then read about them. Lots of good info there.

Welcome to the addiction......

Murfman
09-20-2012, 02:11 PM
The brown algae could be diatoms and not hair algae. Hair algae I long and stringy and deep dark green.