PDA

View Full Version : New sump

Dstyrc
09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
So I have a 30 gallon tank and it's been up and running for over 2 years. Everything is stable and growing pretty darn good for me under 4 t5ho's. What my question is, is as follows. I'm going to be adding a 20 gallon sump, however I'm wondering if I can just add 20 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater to the sump and just turn it on and let that much water mix with my existing tank with no side effects? I plan on only having some chaeto and live rock and sand in the sump but all of that will be brand new. Anyone see any issues with what I plan or can recommend adding this to my system with out any determines?

Chadrw79
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Your on the right track. You'll need to add the same volume of salt water as you are adding to the system. Tip: add enogh water to get the system turning over and then add water slowly until you get the desired maximum level you want in the sump. Turning everything off representing a power failure along the way to make sure you won't have an overflow. Then once you have established your maximum water level in the sump, mark a line to know what yu will have to fill up with RO level each time inorser to keep same salinity.

Hope this helps

freedominco
09-10-2012, 09:25 AM
So I have a 30 gallon tank and it's been up and running for over 2 years. Everything is stable and growing pretty darn good for me under 4 t5ho's. What my question is, is as follows. I'm going to be adding a 20 gallon sump, however I'm wondering if I can just add 20 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater to the sump and just turn it on and let that much water mix with my existing tank with no side effects? I plan on only having some chaeto and live rock and sand in the sump but all of that will be brand new. Anyone see any issues with what I plan or can recommend adding this to my system with out any determines?

Yes, you will be fine do it slow, make sure temp and ph are the same, hook your sump to your tank and let some tank water fill the sump then add some fresh saltwater to the sump turn on return pump and add the rest to the sump until both tank and sump are full.

Murfman
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
You say you are adding live rock to the fuge/sump. If so, where is it coming from? You could have an ammonia spike, if the LR is not fully cycled (buying from a fish store/mail order) vs from an established system.

Dstyrc
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
This is great advice and makes me that much more comfortable moving along with this project. Thank you guys