PDA

View Full Version : Yay for first timers!

Oxcardian
09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Hey guys first time saltwater tanker! Just recently bought the Aqueon 10 gallon starter kit...the one with the full spectrum lighting but im looking to upgrade the lighting as I will be getting clove polyps here soon, any suggestions would be excellent. Not looking at getting another hood, just a bulb if I can get away with it. Got the tank established with some live rock from Seascape and used the starter bacteria from Petco up by Briargate. I have three green chromis in there right now and they've been doing excellent, using the power head flow as a slide! Clean up crew was semi established when the tank was almost done cycling. Have one blue legged hermit, one red legged hermit, one turbo snail and two trochus snails. Thinking about getting a shrimp but havn't really researched them much...any info on these guys would be appreciated also! Thanks guys! It's great knowing there's a local forum with great expertise at your finger tips.

Murfman
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the forum! Skunk Cleaner Shrimp would be your best bet. I think you are going to find that the Turbo snail gets too big for a 10 gallon. Again, Welcome to the forum and hope to meet you at one of the meetings.

sweat044
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Murfman. I have a turbo snail that is bigger than most of my fish.

sfnt125
09-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum! Skunk Cleaner Shrimp would be your best bet. I think you are going to find that the Turbo snail gets too big for a 10 gallon. Again, Welcome to the forum and hope to meet you at one of the meetings.
+1 on Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. They all have great personalities once they get accustomed to your individual tank and it's mates. Everyone one I have owned I have been able to feed by hand. I don't do it all the time cause I don't like to stick my fingers in the tank a lot but they are a fun and interesting species.
Seascape has some, closed this weekend for labor day though.
Also, if your looking at getting some corals once you upgrade your lights give http://www.Reefkoi.com a visit. He's a local and has some super sick stuff. Anyways, welcome to the forum and hobby! You will enjoy yourself immensely and don't hesitate to post Q's before you hit that Oh $h!t moment with you tank. Just take everything slowly cause nothing good comes outta fast changes on a small tank.
Scott

Polworts Plunge
09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Agree with all 1000%. We got 2 Peppermint Shrimp for our 120g, and probably 25 hermits. We are new as well, and Seascape has treated us well. Also, agree with sfnt on Reefkoi. That dude probably has every type of coral known to man and has the patience to help put us new folks.

Badgervet
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Welcome! Looking forward to your build pictures. As for shrimps, I've got a pair of peppermints in my 14gallon that seem to do well. Helps to keep my aptasia population down to a dull roar!

WatercolorsGuy
09-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the addiction!

Oxcardian
09-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Update pic!

anemone
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey it looks nice! Welcome to this (Hobby) and welcome to the site!!

Murfman
09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Looking real nice. Do you want it to be see trough? I assume you do, since the back is so clean!

TAllen
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
That looks awesome, and welcome to the club.