PDA

View Full Version : First post and first ever tank!

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi, I'm Jennifer, and I live in Colorado Springs. I've been working on my first tank, and I've learned alot from this site. I've got a 29 gal, setting up as a FOWLR.

Glass aquarium 29 gal (30"w x 12"d x 18"h)
Florida Reef Rock - 30 lbs from ReefCleaners.org
Nature's Ocean Reef Sand and Reef Substrate - 32 lbs
SeaClone Protein Skimmer SCPS 100
Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel Filtration System
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 pump
Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System 24-36"

I've got the dry rock, sand, and water in. Temp is at 80F, and SG is 1.025. Now I'm ready to get some live rock and get the cycle started! I plan to buy it locally, but I would like some recommendations. Seascape Aquatics? Mr. Aqua?

BTW, I welcome constructive criticism

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 01:20 PM
i have got some of mine from fishy buissness. but i would shop around at all the stores too and compare prices including petco sometimes they have good sales. i have also got some from members from here too.

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 01:24 PM
and by te way welcome and we love pics

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
and by te way welcome and we love pics

Thanks for the advice, and I'll get pics us in the next day or so. :)

sweat044
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Welcome. Go SLOW. I was an eager young buck and wanted everything all at once. I learned quickly after wasting lots of money. I wanted to give up every other day. I learned from some of the pros on this site to take it slow and now my tank is great. I would look on the forum for Live Rock. You can find it cheaper on here and support fellow reefers. Also if you are cycling a new tank you may want to buy some dry rock and a couple pieces of live rock and give that a try. The LFS will charge $6-$7 per pound on live rock. You can find people on the forum selling it for $2 a lb. Ask lots of questions. I ask a lot of questions. Have fun and welcome to the addiction!

kmellon
08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi Jennifer and welcome to our family.

As you already have 30# of rock, you could get by with a small piece from someone on a trade possibly. I don't have my 120 completed yet, but i plan on keeping some rock in my sump so that i can trade with others to help out. Just make sure to check for any pests in the system that you get rock from. I had to kill off all the rock in a tank i just took down due to aptasia and majano that i didn't know was on the rock that i bought it.

You can also pick up some starter bacteria. I forgot the name, but i believe that Petco up north "Union and Powers" has it on the shelf. Some people add a little of it to their tanks when they add new fish to help with the initial bump in bio load but I haven't tired it yet. The live sand that you have should also help out with starting the cycle.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your set up and keep an eye out for the Sept meeting. Looks like it might be on the 22nd or 23rd. These meetings are a fantastic time to meet others here in the area and see some wonderful systems.

freedominco
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
If your starting completly fresh with dry live rock and sand I would start the cycle with a raw shrimp, throw it in and wait for the amonia to show up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Murfman
08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome, Jennifer. Microbacter is one such bacteria additive you can put in to help cycling. You don't need the Biowheel,if you are running a skimmer. I would get dry rock, much cheaper. and then seed with some live rock. It will all become live in time.

Again welcome and looking forward to see your build.

sweat044
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Question. If you take a piece of live rock out of your sump can you replace it with a piece of dead rock? Will it mess with your system? Will it become live again? I am asking because if I can do this I can provide a piece of live rock to them.

As you already have 30# of rock, you could get by with a small piece from someone on a trade possibly. I don't have my 120 completed yet, but i plan on keeping some rock in my sump so that i can trade with others to help out. Just make sure to check for any pests in the system that you get rock from. I had to kill off all the rock in a tank i just took down due to aptasia and majano that i didn't know was on the rock that i bought it.

You can also pick up some starter bacteria. I forgot the name, but i believe that Petco up north "Union and Powers" has it on the shelf. Some people add a little of it to their tanks when they add new fish to help with the initial bump in bio load but I haven't tired it yet. The live sand that you have should also help out with starting the cycle.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your set up and keep an eye out for the Sept meeting. Looks like it might be on the 22nd or 23rd. These meetings are a fantastic time to meet others here in the area and see some wonderful systems.

kmellon
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Sensei Murf,
Thanks for the pick up. My mind was drawing a blank for names. You are the Master. :)

Sweat,
Yes, in a well established, large system, a small piece of rock won't affect your balance if it is taken out and replaced with a piece of dead rock. The dead rock will then be a wonderful new home for bacterial growth and will become live again (seeding). However, in a small set up, a rock replacement such as this might disturb the system depending on its current health and balance.

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Question. If you take a piece of live rock out of your sump can you replace it with a piece of dead rock? Will it mess with your system? Will it become live again? I am asking because if I can do this I can provide a piece of live rock to them.

That would be sweet if you could! I would happily pay you rather than going to a LFS.

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
i have a piece or 2 of live rock if u want it. let me know 337-397-0312. just text me

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM

I was thinking about going to the Sep meeting. I would love to meet everyone!

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Just texted you

junebug0268
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
i have a piece or 2 of live rock if u want it. let me know 337-397-0312. just text me

Just texted you.

freedominco
08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I have a few pieces you can have from my tank, rock is very live and pest free.

text if interested
719-964-7036

freedominco
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM

I have done this many times, I just make sure the dry rock is throughly cleaned and well rinsed with fresh water.

Polworts Plunge
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey Jennifer! Welcome to the boards. We are new here as well, and on our first tank! Everyone here is super cool in answering in questions and have made this new hobby a blast!

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the club.. let us know if you need anything. Also check out DBTC thread.

junebug0268
08-30-2012, 08:15 AM
I have a few pieces you can have from my tank, rock is very live and pest free.

text if interested
719-964-7036

I got a very nice piece from Stacey Vennes, but thank you!

WatercolorsGuy
09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Welcome!!