PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting for a 120g

Polworts Plunge
08-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Looking to get LED lighting system for our120 and looking for some advice. Everything we have researched take us in price ranges from $100 to $1500. DIY is out of e question since we are still really new at this. From what we found we are leaning toward the Ecotech radion XR30W or something from OrPhek PR-156. Would either be sufficient or are e overboard? Any other recommendations? Thanks! :icon_smile:

Git_r_done2x
08-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I run 2 120W generic Chinese led fixtures over my 120.

Polworts Plunge
08-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Can you shoot me a link pointing me in the right direction?

stacy_vennes
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
i got my lights from reefkoi i have 2 150 dimmable led evo's. www.reefkoi.com

farrar08
08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I did a diy led on my bio cube system. Aliexpress is pretty cheap for a diy kit. Not to hard. Hook'd is a subject matter expert!

reefmaster719
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Go with the Chinese fixtures. Same as the reefkoi evolutions. Half the price but you don't get the EVO label lol.

BRuby
08-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Looking to get LED lighting system for our120 and looking for some advice. Everything we have researched take us in price ranges from $100 to $1500. DIY is out of e question since we are still really new at this. From what we found we are leaning toward the Ecotech radion XR30W or something from OrPhek PR-156. Would either be sufficient or are e overboard? Any other recommendations? Thanks! :icon_smile:

Depends on your budget. Stay away from anything $100 though. I use aqua illumination light on both my tanks. Very adjustable and easy to use. I am going to use Sunbrite F Series on my 150. Super cool led that you control with your smartphone. A 4 foot fixture would cost you $999

Polworts Plunge
08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
LOL....I'm still trying to make sure I got the right "everything" first. This is a really new hobby and having a blast with it so far. Just want to make sure what we get is the right stuff. With DIY.....I'd probably solder my fingers together or shock myself..... :)

Polworts Plunge
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Depends on your budget. Stay away from anything $100 though. I use aqua illumination light on both my tanks. Very adjustable and easy to use. I am going to use Sunbrite F Series on my 150. Super cool led that you control with your smartphone. A 4 foot fixture would cost you $999

We looked at those. Pretty sweet to have a lighting storm from my iPhone

reefmaster719
08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
If its in your budget BUY the ai sols. I'm waiting for the vegas next month but they are awesome lights that will do anything you want it to. Great warranty also.

Joe
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
For $235, check out http://www.cfsco.net/120wadicorel.html

I have one of these, and so far so good. It is programmable with multiple on/off for blues, white, and moonlights. You can set manual dimming of blue and white. Only takes one power cord for the fixture. Runs cool enough to sit right on acrylic. Shipping was 99 cents and it took about two weeks to come in. It seems brighter than other 120W LEDs I have.

stacy_vennes
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
lol evo's are not that expensive. certain lights work for certain people. just need to do good research, be patient. i paid 399 per light actually and havent regreted it. just do what you feel comfortable for your tank. and if you want to look at different lights on different tanks, just ask a few people on here if you can look at there setup and see the difference. thats what i did.

BRuby
08-27-2012, 10:38 PM
That's a pretty slick light Joe.

reefmaster719
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
For 200 bucks that would be a great light. With dim control and built in timer? Wow. Can't beat that price!!

reefmaster719
08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
For 399 a light I would DEFINITELY recommend the AI sol super blues. There's a 3yr warranty and its wireless with a controller. The clouds rolling in and lightning storms are a sure plus.

Joe
08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd love to have the thunderstorm, extra colors and remote operation the Vegas or SunBrite F series will have. I would have to put in $1300 + to cover 6 feet with either of those options. It looks like the Vegas will be $499 retail and would probably need 3.

reefmaster719
08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Vegas make your fish tank look like a club scene lol. Go with the sol super blues (more par and growth rate). I'm expecting them to drop the price when the Vegas hit the shelves. Buy 2 and if you don't like it then get a third. Just my opinion.

kmellon
08-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Looks pretty slick. How long have you been running these?

For $235, check out http://www.cfsco.net/120wadicorel.html

I have one of these, and so far so good. It is programmable with multiple on/off for blues, white, and moonlights. You can set manual dimming of blue and white. Only takes one power cord for the fixture. Runs cool enough to sit right on acrylic. Shipping was 99 cents and it took about two weeks to come in. It seems brighter than other 120W LEDs I have.

Murfman
08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
PAR is not always what you want. I run 3x Evo 120s on my 30" deep 300 and supplement with a PAR 38 and a Reefbrite strip, where the Eurobracing is. That is only because the lights don't punch down through the 1/2 acrylic and there is a big gap in coverage. Reefkoi lives down the road from you, Stewart. I'd go take a look at what he has. Like Stacy said. research them. As for all the clouds and thunderstorms. that does nothing but give the "wow" effect, just like me putting mine on all blue to make the corals look like a 70s disco poster. Contralability is very nice. Hooked did a DIY and found out that using 3 watt LEDs was too much and now he runs his at 40% and still has to shade certain corals because it is too much.

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 02:10 PM
With the ai sols you can dim from 0-100% you won't have to worry about burning with them.

Polworts Plunge
08-28-2012, 02:37 PM
LOL! I guess I could crank the thunder and lightning and have other fish over for a rave........LOL

In all seriousness, I think we are leaning heavily toward the 2 x EVO or the Sunbright F. With the bracket set for the EVO, it almost comes out to the same as the SunBright 48" where the bracket is already included. Plus, it's pretty awesome. LOL!

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
evo 150w @399 per light thats is dimmable as well has made my tank awesome. my growth rate is wonderfull my levels are wonderfull and the color of my corals are amaging. remember its a tank not a disco. just research and be patient is the key. everybody want the best tank possible, but you need to do what you think is best. you also might wanna think about a timer. my lights are on a timer, they turn them selves off and on. just a thought for the future. patience and research

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
LOL! I guess I could crank the thunder and lightning and have other fish over for a rave..

Nice!! But yeah. Ai sols have a built in timer. They have ramp settings where the evos DO NOT. Its more natural where it mimics the sunrise and sunset. (In turn,looks better). Take in consideration that the evos have a 1 or 2yr warranty where the AI SOL has a 3yr and you can get it extended if you wish to. Look forward to seeing what you pick. I know whatever it is you'll love it.
-reefmaster

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
when you put the evo on a timer it DOES mimic the sunrise as well as the sunset also giving it a natural look. lol same as ai sol. everybody has a prefrence in what they like. fyi evo do come with an extended warrinty as well

Coral Xpressions
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
when you put the evo on a timer it DOES mimic the sunrise as well as the sunset also giving it a natural look. lol same as ai sol. everybody has a prefrence in what they like. fyi evo do come with an extended warrinty as well

I've got 3 120w 20k LEDs sitting over my 24" deep 180. 1 evo and 2 chinese knockoffs on either side. Each has 2 cords set to individual timers that run 35 minutes of blues in the morning before the whites come on and then again after they go off at night (sunrise/sunset). Everything is automatic, all i do is feed and enjoy. I have no complaints and love the way it makes my tank look. If you wanna swing by a take a look at them, just hit me up.

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
+1 for bushs sweet sweet tank..you have to see it.

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes. Like Stacy said "everybody has there preference". Personally I like to use stuff that is MADE IN AMERICA. that's just me tho. And last time I checked EVO lights do NOT have ramping capabilities. Hence the MIMICS sunrise sunset. They only can turn blues on and then blues to whites. Two different timers also I believe. I like having one cord and a wireless controller.

BRuby
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
I have owned just about every LED being mentioned on here and for the money nothing comes close to the AIs. I am only considering the Reefbrite because it is cheaper. I can tell you that I am done with having a million timers though.

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes!! +1 bruby

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
yes. Like stacy said "everybody has there preference". Personally i like to use stuff that is made in america. That's just me tho. And last time i checked evo lights do not have ramping capabilities. Hence the mimics sunrise sunset. They only can turn blues on and then blues to whites. Two different timers also i believe. I like having one cord and a wireless controller.

all lights mimic no matter what! Why are we even going back and fourth? One light is not better than another. Its what the person prefers. Fyi buying a light from china is not made in america. And yes i have seen the ai sol it is a nice light. But this thread is about someone asking a simple question about there system lighting not for people trying to get the last word.... Or to try to push a light on someone. Its the persons preference on what light they get and like.

reefmaster719
08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
We are just telling him what's best for his money. Why spend 399.00 for a EVO when you can have one that is wireless and all the other bells and whistles for the same price? Plus the AI sol uses less electricity then the EVO. EVO is 120w the sol is 75w. You pick bro. Were not "pushing" a light on you. Were giving you ideas!

Chadrw79
08-28-2012, 10:20 PM
AI sols aren't wireless fyi and you need a $85 controller to control the $400 panel whether its 1 or more.

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 10:22 PM
we dont know whats best for him only he does. and you dont always need all the bells and whistles for a tank. and it may be a 75w but the more u use the bells and whistles the more elec u gonna use same as an evo the more u use like the brightness the more elec u use up. wireless controller same as a timer. a timer u set the light to go on/off bright dim same as a timer on most lights.

Chadrw79
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Reefkois $400 panel is also 150w and covers a foot print of 36"x24" where a AI Sol only covers 24"x24".

So you would only need 2 -150w evos at $800 said and done or you would need 3 AI sols and a controller at $1285.

Just food for thought :)

freedominco
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
all lights mimic no matter what! Why are we even going back and fourth? One light is not better than another. Its what the person prefers. Fyi buying a light from china is not made in america. And yes i have seen the ai sol it is a nice light. But this thread is about someone asking a simple question about there system lighting not for people trying to get the last word.... Or to try to push a light on someone. Its the persons preference on what light they get and like.

sorry stacy but some lights are better then others and the sol's are are tough to beat. I run 2 plain old 120 watt led's straight from china and love them, love the price eben more. If I had the cash I would love some sol's though.

For the OP before buying lights I recomend seeing a couple of tanks with different lighting setups to get an idea before spend so much money also might want to consider used lights, I have seen 120 watt leds for $150 maybe even a little lower, might be a good way to save on lights to upgrade something else or use the savings to buy fish and coral.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

stacy_vennes
08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
sorry stacy but some lights are better then others and the sol's are are tough to beat. I run 2 plain old 120 watt led's straight from china and love them, love the price eben more. If I had the cash I would love some sol's though.

For the OP before buying lights I recomend seeing a couple of tanks with different lighting setups to get an idea before spend so much money also might want to consider used lights, I have seen 120 watt leds for $150 maybe even a little lower, might be a good way to save on lights to upgrade something else or use the savings to buy fish and coral.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 i also suggested that they look at other peoples tank with the different light to get an idea of what they look like and how different they are for each tank.

BRuby
08-28-2012, 11:07 PM

So set your timer to do this:
10 am blue at 30% royal blue at 30% and have them ramp up 10% over each hour until they are at 60%. At noon have the whites come on and ramp up to 40% over an hour. Stay that way til around 8pm and then reverse the process. And just for kicks, throw in a thunderstorm. Lol. I think that's how my AIs are set up. Like someone said there are plenty of choices most can be seen around here. Honestly I think the link that Joe put up is the best value by far. Like I mentioned before, I have owned many different LEDs and the only one I have zero complaints with is the AI SOL.

freedominco
08-29-2012, 12:06 AM
AI sols aren't wireless fyi and you need a $85 controller to control the $400 panel whether its 1 or more.

the new ones are and with an adaptor the others are too with the new controller

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
So set your timer to do this:
10 am blue at 30% royal blue at 30% and have them ramp up 10% over each hour until they are at 60%. At noon have the whites come on and ramp up to 40% over an hour. Stay that way til around 8pm and then reverse the process. And just for kicks, throw in a thunderstorm. Lol. I think that's how my AIs are set up. Like someone said there are plenty of choices most can be seen around here. Honestly I think the link that Joe put up is the best value by far. Like I mentioned before, I have owned many different LEDs and the only one I have zero complaints with is the AI SOL.

For the same price I expect a EVO to do this^^^^^ lol

Chadrw79
08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
the new ones are and with an adaptor the others are too with the new controller

Have you seen one for sale somewhere yet? Pretty sure they haven't been released yet, but you might know better than I.

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
They do not come out for a few days(presumably). They are supposed to come out the last week of august but they have changed the release date many many times. The regular sols are out and about.

freedominco
08-29-2012, 12:52 AM
my bad I was mixing them up with ecotech radion led's

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 01:00 AM
those things are sickk. To bad there overpriced...800bucks each...what a joke.

stacy_vennes
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
coverage wise is mainly what im talking about (but that point seems to be getting over looked) at 2 evo for a 120 tank is 800. You need 3 ai at almost 1300 now thats a joke......... we need to be looking at coverage for the tank and not where the light came from and all the bells and whistles......... i have researched the lights many,many,many times before i made my final decision on what to get.

Polworts Plunge
08-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks to all for everyone's opinion! We really do appreciate it. It's funny because it's like buying a new car and saying "I would like a new car. Any advice?" LOL! I think what we have learned so far is that there are about a thousand options. A friend here sent a message for a deal on lights from reefkoi that looks very good! And being used (1 yr old), they are offering a pretty good deal. On the other side, we have even begun to consider leaving the T5's in place and adding on to them. The EVO's and AI Sols have been the best so far (I think)...but the one's that I personally want is the SunBright Series F 48". I like that it has the stand built in and appears to cover everything and is a fixture that will stay with us for quite some time. Plus....I'm a bells and whistle kinda guy. The wife is a financial planner who looks at costs and is effective in reining me in at times. LOL! I think the thing we have both learned is to research..research..research, and ask many questions. The tank is looking pretty awesome right now, the levels are perfect, and everything is running smooth which I think is pretty awesome for a first time tank!

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes the reefbrite is truly a great light. You better post pics of your tank sir!! Lol. Glad we can help.

Polworts Plunge
08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
If I did this correctly.....here is the tank

http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/Our_Tank/

Murfman
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Very nice, Stewart!!! What is the green on the back wall? Looks like the Kelp beds in NorCal.

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Really nice. What light are you running right now?

hooked
08-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Looks like you are off to a fine start. nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadrw79
08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Seriously do not wait but you should buy the LEDs in this thread

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15122

2 200w evolution leds non dimmable $300 for both or $175 each
2 power cords 20k

That is damn Cheap!!!

freedominco
08-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Seriously do not wait but you should buy the LEDs in this thread

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15122

2 200w evolution leds non dimmable $300 for both or $175 each
2 power cords 20k

That is damn Cheap!!!

that is a super deal

Polworts Plunge
08-29-2012, 08:01 PM
So......just came back the proud owner of EVO 200w LED lights! Even got the 48" stand. Will update pics soon! :)

freedominco
08-29-2012, 08:19 PM
So......just came back the proud owner of EVO 200w LED lights! Even got the 48" stand. Will update pics soon! :)

your gonna love them

Chadrw79
08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Yay welcome to the Evo club ;)

Polworts Plunge
08-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Holy.....Moly!!! The tank is friggin popping with bright colors, it shimmers, and the fish seem to really love it. Absolutely incredible....LOL! I'll update some pics in a few

stacy_vennes
08-29-2012, 08:37 PM
awesome looks good.

stacy_vennes
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
If I did this correctly.....here is the tank

http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/Our_Tank/i love the back ground.

Reefkoi
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Go with the Chinese fixtures. Same as the reefkoi evolutions. Half the price but you don't get the EVO label lol.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion......is everything made in China all made in one factory you think? Just curious thats all..
C

Reefkoi
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Holy.....Moly!!! The tank is friggin popping with bright colors, it shimmers, and the fish seem to really love it. Absolutely incredible....LOL! I'll update some pics in a few

Nice meeting you guys glad the light looks good! I have read this thread and the comments, some valid some seem like they are throwing out info thats a little one sided, but in the end EVOs can only be beat by DIY for the price and 2 year warranty. I know there are cooler features and controllability leds out there, I could have a light with all the same clouds and thunderstorms disco etc LOL but honestly I hate having to program all that and download new software all the time, its all about growing corals for me :)

Anyway carry on :)

Git_r_done2x
08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice meeting you guys glad the light looks good! I have read this thread and the comments, some valid some seem like they are throwing out info thats a little one sided, but in the end EVOs can only be beat by DIY for the price and 2 year warranty. I know there are cooler features and controllability leds out there, I could have a light with all the same clouds and thunderstorms disco etc LOL but honestly I hate having to program all that and download new software all the time, its all about growing corals for me :)

Anyway carry on :)

Lmao! Well put Chris

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

reefmaster719
08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Wow. That's a SICKK deal on those lights!! To good to pass up.

Polworts Plunge
08-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Great to meet you as well Chris. Look forward to being a customer for awhile. Time to grow some coral!

Murfman
08-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Just make sure you start out shading your corals. If you see them turning white, too much light. Turning brown, too little. LEDs are real pin point bright so let the corals tell you what is going on.

Polworts Plunge
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't see getting any corals for probably the next month. I thought of getting just one frag piece of something hearty just so we can get used to placement and monitoring.

sweat044
08-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow. This was quite the thread. Amazing how I missed the fighting. At least I wasn't involved.

Congrats on the new lights. If you really want to see how bright they are. Close your eyes and then stare into them. Well, maybe that is a bad idea.

Murfman
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow. This was quite the thread. Amazing how I missed the fighting. At least I wasn't involved.

Congrats on the new lights. If you really want to see how bright they are. Close your eyes and then stare into them. Well, maybe that is a bad idea.

not fighting, spirited debate ;-)

reefmaster719
08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
not fighting, spirited debate ;-)

+1.

Joe
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM
I have only had it for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how well they will last.

Looks pretty slick. How long have you been running these?