PDA

View Full Version : Poor man with a rich mans hobby

codeman01
08-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone! So....not only would I consider myself novice to mediocre in the saltwater/reef category, I am an EXTREME novice when it comes to forums ( this is my first attempt). With that being said, please be willing to exhaust some patience with me as I am sure I will post in the wrong place (if I'm not already) or ask a dumb question at some or many points.

I have had saltwater tanks for many years off and on and am currently running a 55 gal reef/fish and also a 75 gal reef/fish. Oh yeah, and I can't forget my 10 gal FOWLR on my night stand with two false percs, and I just put a frag of my pulsing Xenia in there.

I just recently decided to "step up to the BIG leagues" and bought myself a 200 gal bow front. As of now it is just sitting in my garage being leak tested while I have my canopy custom built. I have a huge pond master return pump on order as I am gonna plumb everything to my basement. I have purchased four 33 gal tanks that will be used for all of my different steps of filtration. Now I have to find a huge protein skimmer that I can afford, some cheap base rock for filtration purposes, and then figure out the best way to plumb all of this. (no sweat right?)

Anyway, if any of you other reefers out there have any insight on the best way to approach this or know anyone that may have some of the things I still need for a good price, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and sorry if this was more long- winded that it should have been.

Git_r_done2x
08-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Welcome Codeman! Glad to have you join us. There is a wealth of knowledge here so I'm sure finding some input for your new setup will not be a problem. We all enjoy pictures around here so if you have some pics of your setups, we would all like to see! We try to have monthly meetings not only to bring our reefing community together to meet new people that enjoy our hobby, but also gives you a chance to see some of the other members setups. They are a great time so we encourage trying to attend. If you have any questions, feel free to reply here or shoot me an email at mark.Polk80@gmail.com. you won't be able to send or receive private messages on the forum until you reach 25 posts. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Bernout
08-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Welcome!

Novice to mediocre? Sounds pretty hardcore to me! lol

Bernout

sweat044
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Welcome. Don't worry I always ask really dumb questions. If you need any help. Let me know. I am a master of using Google.

hooked
08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome to SCMAS Codeman. How did you find us? As stated before, We love pictures. Feel free to address your saltwater concerns here. Meetings are a great way to get to know folks.

Joe
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Welcome! I'm really interested to follow your 200 setup. I wish I had some knowledge to share, but I'm very new to this.

stacy_vennes
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Welcome. any questions just ask remember big tanks=patience :)

codeman01
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will try to get some current pics of my 55 and 75 up here very soon (if I can figure out how to that is). I am assuming it is just the "insert image" tab above when I post or reply? Please try not to judge too much as I am sure my tanks look nothing like the quality of some/most of yours. :)

hooked
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
The best way to post pictures is to put them on photobucket. Then copy the link and attach to the thread. If you have troubles doing that, we can help you out.

Chadrw79
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Copy the link that say IMG link. In photobucket.com I'm talking. You can even get a cell app that will upload pics automatically after taking picture from phone if that's what you use for pics

codeman01
08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Well I guess I need to create a photobucket account now haha. How am I 30 and so far behind technology?

anemone
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Haha I know right, I'm 25 and if I want a Photo uploaded I have to get my wife to help!