PDA

View Full Version : New to the saltwater world

Waitejk
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone!! My name is Jamie and I am new to saltwater tanks. I have kept freshwater tanks in the past but have always wanted saltwater. I currently have a 55 gal empty tank. I have been spending the last several days getting all my supplies together before i get it assembled.

I am going to use live sand and live rock. I have a cannister filter coming by UPS (hopefully soon!!) and going to use a LED light strip. I'm going to let the tank cycle for about 3-4 weeks, depending on when the levels have evened out. I'm just too impatient to wait, but will wait as long as I need to.

As for fish......I don't really know yet what I'm going to put in the tank. I would like to have clownfish, gobies, and a yellow tang. I'm still in the researching phase though as to what will peacefully live together. I want to start out with more "hardy" fish while I get used to the maintenance and upkeep of the tank.

Any thoughts and ideas are highly welcomed!! I was also looking forward to attending a meeting in the future to meet some of you and to further my knowledge base.

Jamie

Git_r_done2x
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the madness! Are you planning on getting into corals?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

sweat044
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the addiction. Hope your wallet is ready for this thing they call a hobby. Let me know if you need any help.

Waitejk
07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the madness! Are you planning on getting into corals?

I do plan on getting into corals at some point. I don't know ANYTHING about corals, yet. Once I get a good set up going with the fish only tank I will start looking into them.

Waitejk
07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the addiction. Hope your wallet is ready for this thing they call a hobby. Let me know if you need any help.

Thank you!! My wallet has already felt the blow of this "hobby". I'm thinking of call it my new job that I have to pay for! haha
I have already seen some useful information on this but will let you know if I have any questions. I'm sure more questions will come up once I start adding fish.

stacy_vennes
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
welcome and as long as you have patience and take it slow and research it wont hurt ur wallet lol just remember PATIENCE is the key to this hobby. when in doubt ask questions and dont be affarid to ask for help. once again welcome. need anything let us know

hooked
07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Welcome Jamie,
Do ask lots of questions. If you need visual encouragement, there are several members that will be happy to show you their setups.

Waitejk
07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Question......I just put about 55 pounds of both Live rock and sand in the tank and filled with water. I haven't tested any water chemistry yet except for SG which was 1.023. Do I need to add anything else to the tank to "officially" start the cycle? I've read on other websites about adding calcium to the tank for the rock. Is this necessary/beneficial?

Git_r_done2x
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I have not added any calcium to start a tank. The saltwater will have enough calcium other minerals necessary. The only thing to do now is let the tank cycle.

TAllen
07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Welcome Jamie.

Sa$$y
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
welcome to the hobby!! enjoy and having patience is THE key!

Murfman
07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Welcome, Jamie. One thing you might want to consider is not using the canister filter and going with a refugium/sump combo. The canister filters tend to become nitrate traps. You can also use Microbacter7 to help speed up the cycling process.

Waitejk
07-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Welcome, Jamie. One thing you might want to consider is not using the canister filter and going with a refugium/sump combo. The canister filters tend to become nitrate traps. You can also use Microbacter7 to help speed up the cycling process.

Thanks for the advice. I already have the canister filter running. I will watch the levels and see how it goes. I did pour a bottle of BioSpira (I think that's what it's called) in the tank last night. Do you suggest adding the Microbacter7 in addition to the BioSpira?

Murfman
07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I already have the canister filter running. I will watch the levels and see how it goes. I did pour a bottle of BioSpira (I think that's what it's called) in the tank last night. Do you suggest adding the Microbacter7 in addition to the BioSpira?

Won't speed anything up. The excess bacteria will just die off.

JLAURENCE32
07-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Jamie, welcome to the club! Patience is #1 in this hobby. That's the hardest part. Just remember to test your water alot when first starting and don't add too many fish too fast.

Waitejk
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm definitely not the world's most patient person. I have the tank all set up and now waiting for the cycle to finish. Only 3 days in and I can't wait for fish but will until the tank is ready.

Murfman
07-16-2012, 06:04 AM
You can also add some of the biospira, when you add fish to take up any "spikes" in ammonia/trites/trates the new fish will be injecting to the system.