PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Starry Blenny

Bear-reef
07-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I've had my Starry Blenny for a little over a week and he has been fine with my Clowns. He does pick on the hermits from time to time but nothing serious. I added a Diamond Watchman today and the Blenny just seems hell bent on harassing him event though it seems he can't catch him. Looks like he is trying to limit the Watchman to certain parts of the tank. Will he calm down, do I need to move someone, any suggestions the Blenny is being a real jerk?

sweat044
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Do you have a lot of rocks with holes in them for the blenny to hide? Is he the biggest fish in the tank? I have a starry and he is one of my favorite fish. He leaves everyone alone and likes to back into holes and watch everyone else swim.

stacy_vennes
07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
The Starry Blenny requires an aquarium of at least 30 gallons and should be provided with plenty of live rock for grazing, perching and hiding; the live rock should be stable as Starry Blennies will sometimes dig and move rubble and other objects around which can dislodge structures and can lead to injury. Blennies are also known to be excellent jumpers, so a sealed or secure top is recommended for their environment. They are peaceful bottom dwellers, but they been known to be territorial with other blennies, small gobies, dartfish and species that have a similar appearance. They are considered to be reef-safe, but have been known to pick at the mantles of clams and LPS corals when underfed (this is much less common in larger systems).

The Starry Blenny is a herbivore and grazes on various marine algae within its natural environment. In the aquarium it should be fed a variety of vitamin-enriched marine algae, vegetable matter, and quality, Spirulina-based prepared foods. It will also gaze upon ornamental and nuisance micro/macro algae that may already be present in the aquarium. Feed twice per day.

Bear-reef
07-08-2012, 07:10 AM
The Starry Blenny requires an aquarium of at least 30 gallons and should be provided with plenty of live rock for grazing, perching and hiding; the live rock should be stable as Starry Blennies will sometimes dig and move rubble and other objects around which can dislodge structures and can lead to injury. Blennies are also known to be excellent jumpers, so a sealed or secure top is recommended for their environment. They are peaceful bottom dwellers, but they been known to be territorial with other blennies, small gobies, dartfish and species that have a similar appearance. They are considered to be reef-safe, but have been known to pick at the mantles of clams and LPS corals when underfed (this is much less common in larger systems).

The Starry Blenny is a herbivore and grazes on various marine algae within its natural environment. In the aquarium it should be fed a variety of vitamin-enriched marine algae, vegetable matter, and quality, Spirulina-based prepared foods. It will also gaze upon ornamental and nuisance micro/macro algae that may already be present in the aquarium. Feed twice per day.

I have A 55G tank with 65 pounds of LR, there are tons of caves and holes the blenny has been using to observe and hide out in, ao many most od the time it takes some a while to find him. Last night he started to leave the gobbie alone, I'm gonna keep an eye on them and make sure everything works out. I have seen post saying bleenys start off picking on a new member of the tank and later become really good tank mates. Hoping that's what happens in y case.

stacy_vennes
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
that is true as well. mine does awesome in my tank but cuz te lil guy was introduced after he was he probably was just protecting his land im sure they will be ok

Bear-reef
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
that is true as well. mine does awesome in my tank but cuz te lil guy was introduced after he was he probably was just protecting his land im sure they will be ok

Thanks The Benny seems to be trying to get closer to the YWG to check him out now. No more of the aggressive darting and chasing lately.