PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

Dstyrc
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
In my 30 gallon tank I'm only relying on my refugium and the live rock and live sand to take care of all filtration? Also I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting but in order to do that I would lose my 1 gallon refugium, can I just rely on my rock and sand and regular water changes to be enough filtration?

Dstyrc
04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
O yea and I'm running a remora hang on back skimmer.

Murfman
04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Live rock and sand should be enough to take care of the biological filtration.

Dstyrc
04-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Ok well that means I'm in the market for 30 inch lighting fixtures hehe, Ty murf.

Bernout
04-21-2012, 08:59 AM
In my 30 gallon tank I'm only relying on my refugium and the live rock and live sand to take care of all filtration? Also I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting but in order to do that I would lose my 1 gallon refugium, can I just rely on my rock and sand and regular water changes to be enough filtration?

From everything I've read, the main thing for smaller tanks is to do your partial water changes on a weekly basis. If you had some kind of algae in your refugium then you'll also probably need to keep your nitrates and phosphates under control with chemicals (assuming you aren't doing so already).

Bernout

batman
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Water changes are key! I wouldn't dose anything in a tank this small because of the small margin for error, but if you have the confidence, have at it!