PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't this be used?

Aricml
04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Like many of us (but not all) I dream of having that big 200 or more gallon reef. While daydreaming about putting one together I ran across this T5 unit on the web and thought "Why couldn't this work for reef tank?

$219.95 for 4' 8-bulb T5 fixture, what do you think? (http://www.greners.com/i/grow-lights/fluorescent-grow-lights/brand/hydrofarm/commercial-t5-fixture.html)

You can get 4, 6, or 8 bulb models for incredibly reasonable prices. they have German reflectors, Dual power switches (on 6 and 8 bulb models) powder coated housings. and the best part is.. wildly low prices.

I'm sure some splash guard construction might be needed, but I can't see much reason why this couldn't be used in our hobby. Supplement with some LED's for shimmer and enjoy!

Why don't we hear what a few of you think about this unit's practicality?

jasonp87
04-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Funny you bring these units up. When I was first starting I found these sane units and wondered the same thing. I decided to go a more tried and true method with a light built for aquarium use.

kmauger1
04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
As long as you could get the correct spectrum of bulbs for an aquarium they could be used. Grow lights are usually red spectrum bulbs. If they let you customize and get blue spectrum and white bulbs that are 10k and higher you should be good.

Pride of the rockies
04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
That's a crazy price for a housing. On the Q&A on the right it says that they come with 6700K and are unable to be switched out when you buy. So extra bulbs it is.

Lets say you buy the 8bulb, $220. You'll need some bulbs now, for simplicity sake lets say $20/ea. I've seen more expensive bulbs, but lets pretend you're buying from BRS and are in a GB. So, $220+(8*$20)=$380.
Without knowing the reflectivity of the reflectors, it's hard to know if the reflectors are any good though. I believe ReefGeek (L.E.T.) is still putting out the best reflectors, reflectivity of ~97%.

blue71
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
This one looks nicer. I'd pay the extra money for this one http://www.greners.com/i/grow-lights/fluorescent-grow-lights/t5-fixtures/quantum-badboy-t5-fixtures.html

Bernout
04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Let's also not forget why LEDs are so popular. Low power use and less heat is a good thing. ;)

Bernout

Martin's Reef
04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Let's also not forget why LEDs are so popular. Low power use and less heat is a good thing. ;)

Bernout

L. E. D. s., LEDs, LEDs, LEDs! Been using LEDs for over a year now and I will never go back to MH nor T5s/HOs/VHOs!

JLAURENCE32
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I think these would work great with new bulbs. Good find...

SpaceOps
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Consider the cost of replacing the T5 bulbs every 9 months or so. Fluorescents and MH are notorious for spectral degradation. LEDs, when operated within the manufacturer's rated current limits, only degrade 3% a year.

JLAURENCE32
04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Consider the cost of replacing the T5 bulbs every 9 months or so. Fluorescents and MH are notorious for spectral degradation. LEDs, when operated within the manufacturer's rated current limits, only degrade 3% a year.

You're right. That's a big drawback to T5's. It's like how printers are super cheap but they get you on the ink cartridges. You end up spending much more in the end.

Aricml
04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
L. E. D. s., LEDs, LEDs, LEDs! Been using LEDs for over a year now and I will never go back to MH nor T5s/HOs/VHOs!

I have a Cree DIY LED over my tank right now and I agree that they are a vast improvement and wonderful on power, however I was talking with Doyle about this, and I feel that something is missing.. I plan on using mixed lighting over my next tank with LED's in combination with T5. Besides, that will give me even more configurations to play with!

SpaceOps
04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
I feel that something is missing.

Like what? Light is light. You're either referring to missing spectrum or missing intensity.

Murfman
04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a Cree DIY LED over my tank right now and I agree that they are a vast improvement and wonderful on power, however I was talking with Doyle about this, and I feel that something is missing.. I plan on using mixed lighting over my next tank with LED's in combination with T5. Besides, that will give me even more configurations to play with!

A lot of LED users went back to MH, T5 and LED.

SpaceOps
04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
A lot of LED users went back to MH, T5 and LED.

I wonder if it was due to the fact that LED lighting is so new that no one really knew how many watts per square foot, or which combination of wavelengths were best. I don't see much evidence out there that any real research has been done regarding optimal LED spectrum or intensity...yet.

Murfman
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
They complained about fixed spectrum and corals not coloring up like they should.

Martin's Reef
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
They complained about fixed spectrum and corals not coloring up like they should.

Paul, are you still using LEDs? My corals have great colors and have only been using LEDs for over a year. So I am confused about people saying their corals wont color up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Murfman
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Paul, are you still using LEDs? My corals have great colors and have only been using LEDs for over a year. So I am confused about people saying their corals wont color up.

I am still using LEDs. 3 years this Aug. I have great colors but some corals just won't do it like MH. No worries, I just won't ***** about them not coloring up. Others look incredible!!!

Martin's Reef
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I am still using LEDs. 3 years this Aug. I have great colors but some corals just won't do it like MH. No worries, I just won't ***** about them not coloring up. Others look incredible!!!

I like the way you think.

jdday
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
SpaceOps what is the thing in your Avatar? I think i have a tiny one of those in my tank but I don't know what it is.

SpaceOps
05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
It's a pseudocorynactis. They were hitchhikers. Harmless