PDA

View Full Version : Dosing KH

Bernout
04-06-2012, 11:43 PM
So I've been monitoring weekly the Ca and Alk levels in my 28g nano and have noticed a slow but continual decline in my Alk level. Since I got the Hanna kit beginning of March it's dropped from 7.3 to 6.8. Granted it wasn't high to begin with but I'm not liking the direction it is headed. ;) My Ca level appear fine.

The Reef Crystals I'm using for weekly 4g water changes has a pretty high Alk. I could change out more water I suppose although I'm not sure that will fix it.

Any recommendation on what else to use to increase it? I've read a bit on Reef Pure Marine KH Buffer w/Magnesium and see that amazon has Seachem Reef Buffer. Both seem designed to raise Alk while maintaining PH (something I don't have an issue with - it ranges from 8 to 8.3 during the day).

Bernout

mikea213
04-07-2012, 12:03 AM
I would start dosing a 2 part it will keep you Alk and cal up and also help with the ph. BRS 2 part works great it's what I used before going to a reactor. A kit of that will last you a long time

Murfman
04-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Bernie, what is your Mg?

Bernout
04-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Bernie, what is your Mg?

Last I checked it in mid Feb it was 1200. Keep in mind that was with the Red Sea kit whose Mg test from what I've read has questionable accuracy. I really should buy the Salifert kit and keep an eye on it too.

Bernout

Murfman
04-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Mg, Ca and Alk are all closely tied together. Get your Mg under control and the others should stay stable. You can do this via the Randy Holmes-Farley 3 part article that has been posted on here multiple times.

Bernout
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Mg, Ca and Alk are all closely tied together. Get your Mg under control and the others should stay stable. You can do this via the Randy Holmes-Farley 3 part article that has been posted on here multiple times.

Well, I got the Salifert Mg kit in and did the 3 measurements tonight. Mg 1395 Ca 400 KH 6.6. So Mg certainly shouldn't be the problem since BRS recommends 1350, 420, and 9 respectively.

I got the 2 part kit in so I'm going to start dosing KH tomorrow. Wish me luck! :D Tips and advice welcome.

Bernout

notxes11
04-13-2012, 09:15 PM
The only advice I'd give is to take it up slowly. If you have good coral health at your cuurent parameters, then there shouldn't be a rush. The last thing you want to do is lose something to a rapid ALK increase.

Murfman
04-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Bernie, if you add just he alk portion, that is going to drop your calcium. Add some Ca, maybe 1/2 the amount to the alk.

Bernout
04-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Bernie, if you add just he alk portion, that is going to drop your calcium. Add some Ca, maybe 1/2 the amount to the alk.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll be doing daily measurements until I get the levels where I want them so I'll see how that works.

As for going slow I think the BRS dosing calculator tells you your daily increase limit so I'll make sure to say under that and split the daily limit in 2 for a morning and evening dose.

Thanks guys.

Bernout

Bernout
04-21-2012, 09:07 AM
So...my dosing experience is now over and everything is alive so that is a good thing. :)

I did have one close call with the whole experience. Apparently the BRS calculator has a unit selection for KH which defaults to meq/l and not dKH which was the numbers I was feeding into it. And of course there is like a 3x difference in calculated volumes between the two. Luckily my dKH only increased by 1.4 in a day which is the max that BRS recommends. Whew!

So my daily dosing for Ca and KH has settled at 8 mL which seems high to me given the corals I have in the tank but there it is. Now I need to go visit Adam so I can throw my numbers all out of whack. ;)

Bernout

Murfman
04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Good tool to have around your tank; http://ozreef.org/library/tables/alkalinity_conversion.html

Bernout
06-10-2012, 07:41 AM
So...the BRS site seems to imply that you always dose Ca and KH in equal amounts. However, I've noticed my Ca level going upwards while my KH has remained fairly constant. The logical thing to do would be to lower the Ca dosing but figured I'd ask first before getting myself into trouble. :)

Thoughts?

Bernout

Murfman
06-10-2012, 11:02 AM
So...the BRS site seems to imply that you always dose Ca and KH in equal amounts. However, I've noticed my Ca level going upwards while my KH has remained fairly constant. The logical thing to do would be to lower the Ca dosing but figured I'd ask first before getting myself into trouble. :)

Thoughts?

Bernout

Randy Holmes-Farley suggest that as long as you are not seeing Ca preciptate (white flakes in the water or your plumbing/heaters turning white) not worry too much on the Ca number.

What is your Ca number, Bernie? I was up over 600 with no issues for months at a time. It could be your salt mixture, what are you using there?

Bernout
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Randy Holmes-Farley suggest that as long as you are not seeing Ca preciptate (white flakes in the water or your plumbing/heaters turning white) not worry too much on the Ca number.

What is your Ca number, Bernie? I was up over 600 with no issues for months at a time. It could be your salt mixture, what are you using there?

The last reading was beyond the limit of the Hanna checker (i.e. 600+). I'll see this Fri for my weekly measurements whether it was an isolated bad reading. The past ones have been pretty consistently in the mid 400s and I haven't changed much.

With respect to my question however, do most people dose the two in equal amounts?

Bernout