PDA

View Full Version : LEDs and spectral distribution

Murfman
03-25-2012, 07:32 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature

scrumpto
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Wonderful data, been looking for that so thanks Paul!!!
Would be nice to see the spectrum of the Evo units.

SpaceOps
04-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Interesting graphs. LEDs are still in their infancy, and the best innovations so far seem to be the ability to control (dim) each wavelength independently to adjust the overall appearance. I think the manufacturers are focusing on the desires of the hobbyists right now, which is fluorescence and, to a lesser extent, growth. I would imagine that in a couple years, after people have gained more experience and more experimentation has been done with various wavelengths, that we'll see LED systems available with a broader spectrum, and maybe the ability to select the desired visual effect from a menu (deep water, mid-day, etc.).

Pride of the rockies
04-21-2012, 01:37 AM
^ don't the Radions do that already?
LEDs may still be in their infancy, but they have been proven to grow pretty good. I jumped on the 1st gen EVO bandwagon, and I got great results for the year I had them(sold the tank, that's why I stopped). I was keeping sticks and clams on my sandbed.

Just for clarification, are you talking individual LEDs(as in re-inventing the diode) or the matrix LEDs (Kessil)? Or are you seeing the multichip as an upgrade to the diode?

Dimming each individual channel has zero to do with the actual LED though.

SpaceOps
04-21-2012, 05:46 AM
No, I'm not talking about reinventing the LED. An LED is an LED is an LED. I'm talking about manufacturers providing more wavelengths than blue, royal blue and white. By having multiple wavelengths available on separate dimmable circuits, the controller can provide an infinite variation of color combinations and intensities to accommodate the varying coral spectral needs and viewing preferences. Things are already moving in that direction.

Murfman
04-21-2012, 06:08 AM
No, I'm not talking about reinventing the LED. An LED is an LED is an LED. I'm talking about manufacturers providing more wavelengths than blue, royal blue and white. By having multiple wavelengths available on separate dimmable circuits, the controller can provide an infinite variation of color combinations and intensities to accommodate the varying coral spectral needs and viewing preferences. Things are already moving in that direction.

I know Jason (Torquehound) bought some LEDs that were RGB with a wireless controller. He could change the spectrum to any color he wanted.