PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Skimmer?

Bernout
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Has anyone tried this? With a Remora?

I was planning on stopping the use of it completely on my 28g but it is still skimming something even if it isn't a lot. I've also noticed that it seems to do most, if not all, of that during the night.

So my current plan is to try running it for about 8 hours every night and see how it works out. My main concern is how effective the Aqua C will be doing that. I've also considered running it for a day or two prior to a water change since there should be more in the water to skim off by that point. So that would be 5 days where it wasn't running at all.

Advice would be most welcome. :)

Bernout

hooked
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
I run my skimmers 12hrs on and 12 hrs off. Usually off while I'm home. Just to keep down noise.
I don't have remoras though.

calvin415
03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I figure skimmers can be temperamental enough so I dont mess with it... 100% on and is probably skimming 50% of the time.

303travism
03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I use to do that I would only run my remora every once in awhile never had a problem I eventually quit running it all together now I have a in sump skimmer that I run about 4 hours every 3 days

blue71
03-17-2012, 11:57 PM
I had problems with mine not skimming well, I didn't know the injector had to be cleaned Lol. Mine is always on, I get pretty good results. You won't know unless you try I guess.

Bernout
03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I had problems with mine not skimming well, I didn't know the injector had to be cleaned Lol. Mine is always on, I get pretty good results. You won't know unless you try I guess.

At least as far as the Remora goes I found documentation online that says the injector should be maintenance free. It's been running fine for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like this should be doable. I'll try to remember to post back here in a couple of weeks with my observations.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Bernout

blue71
03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, LifeReef also said the venturi on their skimmers never has to be cleaned, yet the one on the tank I take care of was clogged as hell. I would assume that the Remora comes with a cleaning brush for a reason...

IMO I noticed a big increase in skimmate production after cleaning.

Ranger
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I have the remora as well. I am also debating going without or part time. My bigger reef I ran my skimmer 24/7, but with the nano, thinking about going all natural.

Bernout
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I have the remora as well. I am also debating going without or part time. My bigger reef I ran my skimmer 24/7, but with the nano, thinking about going all natural.

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now and I can safely say that the part time experiment was very successful. I'm only running it for the 8 hours overnight and it's pulling out way more than it was previously. So any fears I had that the Remora might not be effective running like that have been put to rest. :)

Ranger, if you decide to do without you'll have to let me know how you make out. I've pretty much decided to continue along this path of running it overnight since it seems to give me the best of both worlds. All I need to do now is find something that can elevate it higher in that central compartment so it doesn't interfere with my media basket.

Bernout