PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

Bernout
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Ok...now this is as basic a question as you are going to get. lol I need an accurate thermometer.

I have 4 thermometers right now of various types and 2 pairs of them read pretty close. However each pair is 1 - 2 degrees off from the other so I have no idea what the real temperature is.

Bernout

Murfman
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I use my AC Jr and then the temp controller and split the difference.

calvin415
03-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Are they all digital? I went old school...

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ada-thermometer1.jpg

Bernout
03-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Are they all digital? I went old school...

No, none of them are digital. Maybe that's a sign to try one. :). At the very least I'd like to get my RKL calibrated properly.

Bernout

freedominco
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
No, none of them are digital. Maybe that's a sign to try one. :). At the very least I'd like to get my RKL calibrated properly.

Bernout

your RKL isn't digital?

calvin415
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Bernout

4 Mercury thermometers are off??? Wow! I thought these things were calibrated for accuracy. :(

Bernout
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
your RKL isn't digital?

Yes it is but requires calibration right out of the box.

Bernout

freedominco
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes it is but requires calibration right out of the box.

Bernout

I have never had to calibrate a RKL, I have had 2, where did you read that they need to be calibrated out of the box?

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=6530&p=39232#p39236

Murfman
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=6530&p=39232#p39235

freedominco
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=6530&p=39232#p39235

look up, beat you to it

Murfman
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
look up, beat you to it
Yours doesn't say this;
Q: Do I have to calibrate my temperature probe?

Postby DA_Chris Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 pm
Not typically. Our systems come calibrated for our temperature probes. While calibration is possible it is rarely needed. Care should be taken when calibrating temperature as your ReefKeeper is often more accurate then standard thermometers. Only calibrate temperature if you have a reference value that you trust and is accurate to at least the same resolution of the ReefKeeper or better.

freedominco
03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Yours doesn't say this;
Q: Do I have to calibrate my temperature probe?

Postby DA_Chris Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 pm
Not typically. Our systems come calibrated for our temperature probes. While calibration is possible it is rarely needed. Care should be taken when calibrating temperature as your ReefKeeper is often more accurate then standard thermometers. Only calibrate temperature if you have a reference value that you trust and is accurate to at least the same resolution of the ReefKeeper or better.

Yes it does, its the same link, or am I missing something?

sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

Murfman
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes it does, its the same link, or am I missing something?

sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

You have to scroll up with your link to find the one on the ? that I referenced. You did post it up before me though ;-)

freedominco
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
You have to scroll up with your link to find the one on the ? that I referenced. You did post it up before me though ;-)

it's just a little scroll through

dane
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Did u test them in a cup of ice water?

calvin415
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Did u test them in a cup of ice water?

Brilliant I tell you!!!!

dane
03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
In all the jobs i have had with food this is what we would do.
We would have leave our thermometer in a cup half full of ice with just enough water to meet the top of the ice. Keep it in the water for about 3-5 minutes. If it isn't at 32 throw it away its no good and u can't do anything with it.

Bernout
03-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I have never had to calibrate a RKL, I have had 2, where did you read that they need to be calibrated out of the box?

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=6530&p=39232#p39236

I read some topics, also out of the DA forums. Ones such as:

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9705

It seemed the safer idea to calibrate it and make sure it is correct.

The ice water idea is a good one...I'll test my thermometers and start throwing out the bad ones. :)

Bernout

freedominco
03-02-2012, 03:49 AM
I read some topics, also out of the DA forums. Ones such as:

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9705

It seemed the safer idea to calibrate it and make sure it is correct.

The ice water idea is a good one...I'll test my thermometers and start throwing out the bad ones. :)

Bernout

I don't see where in that link that it says a RKL temp probe needs calibrated out of the box, I would be using and trusting the reefkeeper. Of the 3 reefkeeper temp probes I have had all 3 have been accurate and worked fine, plus one of the best things about using the temp probe on the RKL is the heater controller function.

Bernout
03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't see where in that link that it says a RKL temp probe needs calibrated out of the box, I would be using and trusting the reefkeeper. Of the 3 reefkeeper temp probes I have had all 3 have been accurate and worked fine, plus one of the best things about using the temp probe on the RKL is the heater controller function.

Is this a trick question? lol The poster had obviously never calibrated it before and reported his iTemp as being 7 degrees off. Now granted it could have been an isolated case but the moral of the story is to at least check the accuracy and not trust it to be correct.

Bernout

hooked
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I have suspected that my reefkeeper is reading a little high. I have 3 NIST certified thermometers at work, .1 degree accuracy. I'll take them home this weekend and check my RKL to see how close it is.

Murfman
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I have suspected that my reefkeeper is reading a little high. I have 3 NIST certified thermometers at work, .1 degree accuracy. I'll take them home this weekend and check my RKL to see how close it is.

When was the last time they were calibrated? We used to have to calibrate our aircraft thermometers annually. We did it just like Dane said.

hooked
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
we have them checked every 6 months. Last was Novenber 2011.

Bernout
03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
In all the jobs i have had with food this is what we would do.
We would have leave our thermometer in a cup half full of ice with just enough water to meet the top of the ice. Keep it in the water for about 3-5 minutes. If it isn't at 32 throw it away its no good and u can't do anything with it.

I sat down tonight and did the above with all 4 thermometers (all mercury based as mentioned before). The results matched what I was seeing. 2 of them went down to 32 degrees as expected and the other 2 never made it below 34 degrees. Needless to say the faulty ones are now in the garbage.

Thanks for the info...it was very helpful! :D

Bernout

P.S: I took one of the good ones and checked it against the RKL iTemp probe calibration I did eons ago and it was right on the money. Got lucky with that I think. ;)

Murfman
03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I sat down tonight and did the above with all 4 thermometers (all mercury based as mentioned before). The results matched what I was seeing. 2 of them went down to 32 degrees as expected and the other 2 never made it below 34 degrees. Needless to say the faulty ones are now in the garbage.

Thanks for the info...it was very helpful! :D

Bernout

P.S: I took one of the good ones and checked it against the RKL iTemp probe calibration I did eons ago and it was right on the money. Got lucky with that I think. ;)

I don't think you got lucky. I think that the QC on the probes and controllers is much more accurate than the throw away thermometers.

Bernout
03-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't think you got lucky. I think that the QC on the probes and controllers is much more accurate than the throw away thermometers.

I think you misunderstand. I calibrated the iTemp probe against one of my thermometers. It is no longer at the factory settings so apparently I picked a good thermometer to use while doing it. ;)

If there's a way to revert to the factory calibration I may have to try it just to see what the difference is.

Bernout

Murfman
03-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I think you misunderstand. I calibrated the iTemp probe against one of my thermometers. It is no longer at the factory settings so apparently I picked a good thermometer to use while doing it. ;)

If there's a way to revert to the factory calibration I may have to try it just to see what the difference is.

Bernout

I am not sure. I am sure the link posted by Freedom and myself will tell you.