PDA

View Full Version : Marine Beta reef safe or not?

ReeferCMWC
02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Well i just put this marine beta in my tank and sold to me as reef safe but others say it is not.

I have been reading about them today and figured i would start this discussion.
The fish is from the grouper family but is a Comet.
The way this fish hunts is interesting with the spot on his tail when a small fish swims by 50/50 chance of getting fed.
Some say that it will eat anything that will fit in its mouth.
Others say that he will not mess with anything.
Some say shy others not.

The fish has personality I get it but I want to know about general behavior.

What will the fish be postured like when he is hunting vs relaxed. He perches a lot like a giant hawk fish. but will chase any other fish that enters its little cave area and flair up.
I have no small fish so I am not worried about that but I have a cleaner shrimp that hangs in a different cave and fish swim through it like a car wash.
The Beta will swim through that cave and wait. with a very similar reaction like the other fish like he wants to be cleaned. He wags his body around like a dog. both the angel and the butterfly do the same thing. the shrimp touches him with a feeler or 2. But since the beta the shrimp pushed himself under a rock not cleaning the other fish. i was reading that the Beta has a similar look to an EEL and that could be why the shrimp is cautious?

jasonp87
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Some fish you just have to observe. I have a flame angel in my reef tank that is not supposed to be reef safe. He hasn't nipped a coral in the few months he's been in there. Each fish has it's own personality and tendencies.

hooked
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
It's not always the coral munching that makes a fish not reef safe. It may eat snails, crabs, shrimp. The things usually kept in a reef tank. As far as eating anything that will fit in it's mouth. Most larger fish will do that.
I have a flame angel as well. It is about 5 years old now and has not nipped at corals. I still keep my fingers crossed though.

calvin415
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
It's not always the coral munching that makes a fish not reef safe. It may eat snails, crabs, shrimp. The things usually kept in a reef tank. As far as eating anything that will fit in it's mouth. Most larger fish will do that.
I have a flame angel as well. It is about 5 years old now and has not nipped at corals. I still keep my fingers crossed though.

+1

Per LiveAquaria:
The Marine Betta is not commonly kept in a reef-style aquarium, but it is reported to be safe with corals and anemones, however, it will eat all small fish and shrimp. It is nocturnal and requires hiding places to provide it shelter from bright lighting, being more active at dusk.

ReeferCMWC
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a flame angel as well try taking one of his eye out if he gets too aggressive. Mine has one eye and is a Gem. he is not really good at foraging.

Anyone know about the posturing of this fish when it hunts or stalks?
I ask this because I dont want I loose my cleaner shrimp. he is the best one I ever had he just wants to clean every fish he can get a hold of

Reeflextion
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM
I have a Marine Beta in my 125 and she is about 4 years old and beautiful. It has not attacked any of our CUC and our cleaner shrimps and harlequin shrimp have been safe. We are not sure about the peppermint shrimp as we hardly ever see them anyways. As far as we are aware, we have not lost one due to the Beta.

We also don't tempt fate by putting in sexy shrimp or other small creatures.

We were told it was a live feeder (it does eat the food we feed the other fish as well) and that a good population of pods was mandatory for survival.

Each fish is different and will react differently even between different tanks.

Reeflextion
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
And ours is very shy and hides ou behind the rock work most of the time. Kind of feels like a privledge when she comes out with her fins fully unfurreled.