PDA

View Full Version : Will it cycle?

Chase Thorn
02-19-2012, 11:48 PM
So I downgraded from a 10g to a 3g pico.
Have sand that I will rinse very well, have LR that was in my 10g for a month and it cycled with that tank, also putting in baserock that i ordered. Will I have any type of cycle? The sand will be dead but the die off will be washed out and the LR rubble that will seed the Base rock has nothing living on it as in corals. so should i be ok or will i have a cycle?

Bernout
02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I would assume a cycle and test the water parameters to see when it is done. It's the only way to be sure. :)

Bernout

jasonp87
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
When I set up my first tank, a 55 gallon, I used established rock I bought from a member and I never had a cycle. I also used fresh sand though. Rinsing won't take away everything. I would expect a very minor cycle if your rock is already established. Give it a couple weeks to show ammonia, it doesn't take long for that to show up. If no ammonia spike then you won't have a nitrite or nitrate spike since they come from the ammonia in the cycle. If you want to be safe you can wait the full 4 weeks though.

Murfman
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
You can also add Microbacter to help populate the bacteria and speed up any cycle you might have. I too would anticipate one. I want to give you one caveat on a Pico that small; They are very hard to keep temperature controlled. I had a 2.5 gallon and it would adjust to the temp in my house. The heater would only heat to +5* above room temp.