PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits

Bernout
02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Has anyone used the Hanna test kits at all? I was just looking at a BRS video and it looked like the Alkalinity one, for example, is tons easier than my Red Sea one. Of course at BRS it also looks like they are double the price.

On a related question, what tests do people with a full reef run on a regular basis? Is it worth getting Phosphate?

Bernout

mikea213
02-14-2012, 11:45 PM
I love the hana checkers I use the alk Cal and phosphate weekly and like the fact I don't match a color or count drops and it gives me a number

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Scuba_Steve
02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Personally, I check Cal, Alk, and Mag about 1-2x a month. I check Nitrates once every 2-3 months. Of course I run all those plus Ammonia and Nitrite if I notice something wrong (almost never...) Phosphates are generally difficult to test, because they are normally always being consumed by something. If you have a problem, algae is probably consuming it and making it test at 0. You usually only test above 0 when you have a serious problem.

Murfman
02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
I test Alk and Ca 2-3 times a week and since my pH and temp are automated, it is real easy to check them. I keep a log of every test so that I can trend something. I also check salinity every few times that I test, with a refractometer. Back to the ? at hand, I used to have the Hanna Alk meter but, because I test so often, it was cost prohibitive. I can get 100+ tests out of a Salifert kit vs the 25 a Hanna gives me for 3times the cost.

68sting
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I like the Tropic Marin alk test kit. Super easy and quick.

Bernout
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! :D

Phosphates are generally difficult to test, because they are normally always being consumed by something. If you have a problem, algae is probably consuming it and making it test at 0. You usually only test above 0 when you have a serious problem.

That makes sense. Do you think my skimmer and cheato is enough on my 28g to keep Phosphate in check (assuming reasonable feeding of course) or should I be thinking of getting some kind of phosphate remover? The problem I'm having is I don't know what is "normal" with respect to problem algae growth. I assume because people are cleaning their glass on a regular basis that you will never get rid of it completely.

Bernout

Murfman
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! :D

That makes sense. Do you think my skimmer and cheato is enough on my 28g to keep Phosphate in check (assuming reasonable feeding of course) or should I be thinking of getting some kind of phosphate remover? The problem I'm having is I don't know what is "normal" with respect to problem algae growth. I assume because people are cleaning their glass on a regular basis that you will never get rid of it completely.

Bernout

Phosphates can actually be in the rock work and leech back into the water from the rock to "balance" itself. I would not worry, unless you are seeing major issues that water changes and your biological filtration can't take care of. I clean my glass every two days or so.

Bernout
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I love the hana checkers I use the alk Cal and phosphate weekly and like the fact I don't match a color or count drops and it gives me a number

I'm getting pretty consistent results with my Red Sea Ca kit so I'm not in a rush to replace that. However, I definitely want to get the Hanna alk kit although I see BRS is out of stock. Where do you buy yours? Anyone in town carry it?

Bernout

Bernout
03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, I got my Ca and Alk Hanna test kits in from BRS yesterday so thought a follow up post was worthy.

The Alk was the driving force for me doing the purchase and I'm really happy with it. I did a test yesterday and today and got the same result. The process is so much simpler than trying to figure out when I hit the end point in my Red Sea titration (since there isn't an immediate color shift to look for).

The Ca is more complicated but it is comparable to the difference between the Red Sea Ca and Alk tests. I did my 2 consecutive tests and got a 15 ppm difference which is repeatable enough for my liking, especially since I changed my technique slightly the second time through. It still amazes me you only need to use 0.1 mL of the water being tested. ;)

I'm planning on doing weekly tests to track the water quality over time. My hope is to not have to dose my 28g nano so we'll see how that works out. I'm counting on my switch to Reef Crystals to help me out there.

Bernout

calvin415
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Bern, I swear by Salifert test kits, but do you find these faster or more accurate? Would love to shave a little off my process...

Bernout
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Bern, I swear by Salifert test kits, but do you find these faster or more accurate? Would love to shave a little off my process...

I've never used the Salifert test kits so I couldn't say although it sounds like Paul may be able to do a comparison. I haven't read anything negative about the Hanna kits although did for Red Sea (especially with respect to Mg).

I can't imagine a test being faster as far as Alk goes tho. Fill your vial, baseline it, add your 1 mL reagent and poof...a number pops out. :)

Bernout

calvin415
03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
How long does the reading take? My phosphate kit takes 3 min for the delay scan (recommended)... How about the Cal test?

Bernout
03-03-2012, 09:57 AM
How long does the reading take? My phosphate kit takes 3 min for the delay scan (recommended)... How about the Cal test?

The Alk test takes just a few seconds for each of the readings. I can probably get through the whole test in a couple of minutes easy.

The Ca test is a bit more involved. It's not that the readings take longer, just that you have more to do. I haven't timed it but figure 3-4 minutes total.

If Mike is reading this he can chime in since he's been using these kits for a lot longer. :)

If you want I can swing by some time with the kits and you can try them.

Bernout

Bernout
04-13-2012, 09:27 PM
So...I got my Salifert Mg kit in today and gave it a run. Overall I found the quality of the components of the kit to be inferior to Red Sea although obviously still able to get the job done. It was much easier to use than the Red Sea kit and therefore gave me a result much faster. It was easier to get individual drops out with the syringe then with the Red Sea titrator. Go figure. I just held the syringe in my left hand and shook the vial with my right. Both kits are titration based and had similar color changes to look for so no advantage to either in that department.

Run #1: 1395 (0.07 mL left) (Salifert)

Run #2: 1365 (0.09 mL left) (this was using Red Sea equipment but Salifert reagents)

Run #3: 1340 (0.33 mL left) (Red Sea)

What really surprised me with these numbers was how close the Red Sea kit was. Everything I read online said that the kit tends to read on the high side. Granted this is only a sample set of one.

I'll continue the comparison runs over the next month (I do them weekly) and will report back with what I find. If the Red Sea kit continues to be close then that will be yet another example that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

Bernout

Bernout
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I'll continue the comparison runs over the next month (I do them weekly) and will report back with what I find. If the Red Sea kit continues to be close then that will be yet another example that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

I've done about 5 other sample comparisons and for all intents and purposes I would consider the kits to be comparable in results. My numbers were close enough to be within the margin of error. It doesn't surprise me that someone might have an Mg result that is high because it is easy to miss the dark purple to dark blue transition especially for the Red Sea kit. More titrant used = higher Mg reading.

I'll definitely be using the Salifert kit from now on for my Mg testing. Overall it is just easier and faster to use.

Bernout

Pride of the rockies
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I've done about 5 other sample comparisons and for all intents and purposes I would consider the kits to be comparable in results. My numbers were close enough to be within the margin of error. It doesn't surprise me that someone might have an Mg result that is high because it is easy to miss the dark purple to dark blue transition especially for the Red Sea kit. More titrant used = higher Mg reading.

I'll definitely be using the Salifert kit from now on for my Mg testing. Overall it is just easier and faster to use.

Bernout

Wish I had read this sooner, I just ordered the Red Sea Mag kit. I usually get my Hanna stuff from www.heavydutysupplies.com. Ron is less than BRS and free shipping at $99. I love my alk kit, but kinda pricey if you test regularly.