PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates????

Coral Xpressions
01-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a 55 gal reef setup. I change 5 gal a week and top off with RO when needed. I maintain temp at about 74, ph is 7.9-8.1, ammonia is 0, nitrite is never above .25 but my nitrates always stay between 40 and 80. I run my skimmer 24/7. I am using a rena canister filter that had the sponge filters in it (took them out today and they were covered in crap, so I didnt replace them) i have 3 bags of ultra grade carbon, biomax media and a bag of chemi pure. I feed every fish every other day, feed algea to foxface every 4 days and feed shrimp to my nems every 3 days. I dose reef a and b every other day and use ph buffer in between reef dose. Everyone and everything seems happy and thriving. I have 2 blue damsels, 1 black white striped damsel, 3 juvy damsels, 1 clown, 1 foxface, 1 6 line wrasse, 2 firefish, a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp, normal snails and crabs. I have trumpet coral, shrooms, polys, zoas, kolt tree and more mojano than anyone and 2 different leathers. Nothing has died in my tank ever but I just cant keep nitrates down. Could the sponges (mechanical filters foam pads) holding all the waste and crap in it have been causing it high nitrates? What is a good way to lower nitrates and keep them low. I've been reading alot about vodka dosing. Anyone heard anything about this? Any help is appreciated. If you need more info bout tank just ask.

J&A Timberlake
01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
canister filters can be nitrate factories (especially the sponge). That could have been it. Other than that, deep sand beds can do the same thing dependent on what you have in the sand to help keep it clean. Doesn't sound like you are over feeding (in fact, possibly under feeding). Do you have a sump? Refugium? Plants? These things can help keep the nitrates down after you get them down. larger water changes can help get them down to more controllable levels. New carbon can help also - it has a short effective life span once in the water.

irishguy24
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
What kind of test kit are u using.....but if everything is happy and doing good u might not have a problem at all....

Murfman
01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
What kind of test kit are u using.....but if everything is happy and doing good u might not have a problem at all....

bet it is API.

Coral Xpressions
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Umm, Yeah..that's the one alright. Which test kit do you recommend I use and is it going to break the bank??? Seen some pretty expensive ones out there!

Murfman
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I have found API to give erroneous readings with the ammonia kit. elos or salifert are your best choice.

blue71
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I have also had good luck with my Seachem one. It takes a while though.

SantaMonicaHelp
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Take a look at this, it'll help you remove nitrates.
http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?11390-Lowest-cost-and-easiest-way-to-eliminate-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae

JLAURENCE32
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, it may be the test kit. I'd try another one. Toss the sponge too. Your stock seems to be on the high end, though with 11 fish in a 55gal that's not horrible but coupled with feeding alot of anemones that can cause a good bioload. If you really have nitrites in there regularly, you may just have too much load for the tank but I wouldn't change anything if all is happy.

drumland
09-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I can not offer as much experience as the people you are currently talking with I am sure.
I have a 10 gallon tank and a 55.
I have been using the API for a few months. I was also having problems with my nitrates testing off the charts constantly. I talked with the supplier I buy the things for my tank from.
He told me to omit the step #2 for nitrates. It says to shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds. Since omitting that step my nitrate readings have actually gone to zero. When before I could not get them to move. When they test 5 or 10 I do a water change, test the water, then they are fine.
I hope this helps...I know these kits are expensive hopefully you can use the remainder of what you have. Or I will buy it from you.