PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few suggestions

sweat044
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I am looking for someone that would drill my 46 gallon. It will have water, fish and corals. Also looking for someone to help me with the plumbing of it and also want a auto top off. Can someone please help????????????????????
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Scuba_Steve
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Do you want it drilled with water in it? Or is it empty?

I will help out assuming the latter. We will talk tomorrow when I come over.

sweat044
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Water in it. It is going to be my main tank but I want it to have a sump.

Craigar
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Talk to elite reef they drill alot of tanks!

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

blue71
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
If someone wouldn't mind, I also need my 85 drilled. I was thinking three holes, and elite charges $25 per hole, which I'd prefer not to spend if possible.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.392585,-104.859091

Murfman
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Sweat, where do you want the holes drilled? With a full tank, it makes it exponetionally more difficult. Blue, do you have a drill bit? Anyone that had a bit, and wants to bring it by, I will show you how to drill it.

Scuba_Steve
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I have no problem drilling for people. I just ask for a few dollars to compensate for the damage to my bits, and no liability if the tank cracks. They are only good for a few holes. Sweat, sorry I do not feel competent enough to drill a tank with water.

I just looked at your location Harry, you are a bit far to be doing it out of the kindness of my heart. Maybe $25 total to cover bit damage and gas?

sweat044
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I would want them drilled anywhere that I could connect to a sump.

Murfman
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Too easy. All you have to do is drill the hole the diameter of the bulkhead, away from the edge, put in the bulkhead and then plumb. You can do that about 3" from the top edge. Not too much to drain.

Scuba_Steve
12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
The only issue is cooling the drill bit. If drilling on the side there is no way to keep water on the bit. Not to mention I believe most tanks are tempered on the sides which is impossible to drill.

Murfman
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
The only issue is cooling the drill bit. If drilling on the side there is no way to keep water on the bit. Not to mention I believe most tanks are tempered on the sides which is impossible to drill.

Easy to cool the bit, just dip it and use a spray bottle of water. Tanks are tempered on the bottom, not the sides.

Scuba_Steve
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Alright I will give it a shot. And Harry, just remembered I am going to the frag swap on the 10th, so I will be going that way anyways. So just a couple $ for bit wear.

blue71
12-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I have no problem drilling for people. I just ask for a few dollars to compensate for the damage to my bits, and no liability if the tank cracks. They are only good for a few holes. Sweat, sorry I do not feel competent enough to drill a tank with water.

I just looked at your location Harry, you are a bit far to be doing it out of the kindness of my heart. Maybe $25 total to cover bit damage and gas?

Haha, That would eb Tapatalk on my iPhone adding my location to my posts. I am actually about 5 miles farther than that. $25 would be great. Thank you.

sweat044
12-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I am ready to get this tank drilled. Who is up for it? Also who will take all my livestock and corals in case of a major flood. What bulkheads should I get? Anyone have any bulkheads. Ready to get this show on the road!!!!

Pride of the rockies
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Do you guys want to make a video to teach us noobs how to drill our tanks?

sweat044
12-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Nobody wants to drill a tank? If you break it. Oh well we can have a few beers and laugh.

notchback5.0
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
you cant drill a tank without it being empty at least in my opinion. I already tried drilling my 10gal 3 times and it cracked every time. I drilled my 65 with no cracks because i used water to cool the glass and bit, and to provide lubrication. With the tank standing up there is no way to cool the glass or the bit. You are not going to have good luck drilling a tank unless you drain it.

Before you drill you will need to make an overflow box that can be siliconed into place, and get at least 2 bulk heads. The silicone takes 24 hours to dry so you really arent going to be able to leave the stock in the tank.

sweat044
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Closed