PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Storage

Bernout
11-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I have a 5g pail with some saltwater in it which I use for partial water changes. Based on some Googling I did it seemed like at minimum you should use a powerhead to keep the water circulating. I've also put a heater in there for good measure.

Is this consistent with what everyone is doing? Do you just mix it up a day before hand and forego the whole storage idea?

Bernout

notxes11
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
It really depends on your needs. Some people do very few water changes, while others do weekly regiments.

Personally I have a 55g drum that I keep full of salt water. Heated and circulating with a power head. I keep that ready in case of emergency, to resupply after heavy maintenance, or for water changes that I do about every two to three months.

There are many factors that encompass need and frequency. But I think the need for heat and circulation is to match your DT's parameters to reduce shock and negative impact on your livestock. IMO do what you find works for your tank and livestock.

Murfman
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I keep my salt water, in storage, circulating as well as heat it.

Bernout
11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys! :D

Bernout

J&A Timberlake
11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I have a whole bunch of 5 gallon buckets full of saltwater that were well mixed when placed into the buckets. The buckets are all topped and placed in the home for no longer than two weeks before being used. not heated (other than being in the house - not garage) or circulated and have never had an issue.