PDA

View Full Version : does a algae turf scrubber do the same thing as a protein skimmer?

alexoz271
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I have read much about protien skimmers and how they work and what they do. I have also been reading about algae turf scrubbers. I have found a lot about how to build them. But not so much on how they work and how they compare to a protein skimmer. Or the ability to replace a protein skimmer. Any clarification would be appreciated.

notchback5.0
11-08-2011, 08:13 AM
you will not get a clear cut answer because no long term scientific tests have been preformed as far as I know. You will get a lot of opinions and some will say yes, some will say no. I know my answer doesnt really help...

alexoz271
11-08-2011, 10:08 AM
So after more reading. I have come across alot of big down sides to the tas idea. And have the understanding that a refugium and a skimmer would be a better option for me.

Murfman
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
TAS is not like a protien skimmer. The TAS is trying to use the nutrients to grow a fast growing algae to take the nutrients out of the water and and when you clean it, you export them. A skimmer takes them out via the waste collected, along with any good things. TAS is not for everyone. I run one because I have the space.

I'd really like to hear the "negatives" you have found about them.

notchback5.0
11-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd really like to hear the "negatives" you have found about them.

me too.

alexoz271
11-08-2011, 03:03 PM
These are the negatives that i mentioned before. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/algae-turf-scrubber-160653.html

Murfman
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Hmmmmm Alex. That was one guy's opinion. He doesn't even know how to clean the TAS. I wouldn't put too much creedence in his opinion. I can tell you that IMO, they do work. I don't, however, feel confident enough to stop using a skimmer. I run both. I'd rather starve my algae of nutrients than take a chance of having too many in the tank. The TAS MUST be taken out of the tank to be cleaned. I clean mine out on the deck with a hose or in the deep kitchen sink. If you clean it that way, nothing falls in to the sump. I also keep Caulerpa and Cheto in my sump so what is a lil more algae? I have Tangs in the display and I even feed them some of the Caulerpa, once in a while. Like I said earlier, TAS is not for everyone. I look at it as another tool to help export nutrients in my system. Feel free to come by and look at it, if you like.

alexoz271
11-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Ok good point. What i was really trying to do was trying to explore an alternative to a protein skimmer but all of the answers i have gotten are that it is not going to work like that. So i will be using a skimmer instead. I may look back into it at a later date. But being as new as i am to the hobby. i want to have a better understanding of the basics before i get into more "advanced" parts of the hobby.

notchback5.0
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
i am probably doing one in my tank. if the TAS is properly designed, it is very easy to clean and takes little effort so im going to try. in my new tank i am going to take extra measures to remove phosphate this is one of a couple