PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare



smalltownreef
10-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone have any info on keeping a sea hare? I have massive algae problems and i have read that they will desimate it. But i have also heard that they can poision and kill your entire tank.

PuD
10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Sea hares are great for eliminating algae (especially the hair variety) but, they can poison your tank. This usually happens when it dies or gets extremely agitated. Other than that, they are pretty good to have. The unfortunate thing is that they feed almost exclusively on algae so, once it's gone, you'll need to suplement it with some nori or similar. Most people just pass the seahare along to another reefer in need.
Hope that helps.

AGGJSW
10-14-2011, 04:36 PM
My experience with sea hares is they only eat sting algae if you trim it back short. They will starve to death if not - even with tons of long hair algae right in front of their nose. Raising your mag level to 1500-1600 is another way to get rid of hair algae, but be real careful and check your levels often. Watch the tips of the algae, when it turns white it is working.

ShelbyJK500
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Anyone have any info on keeping a sea hare? I have massive algae problems and i have read that they will desimate it. But i have also heard that they can poision and kill your entire tank.

I got one a couple months ago for hair algae / bryopsis. I had also just started getting the red cyano stuff on my sand bed. Long story short, he tore through the cyano the first day. He didn't appear to even start on the hair algae and died a couple of days later. WARNING; I had him in a 28g Nano and he was last seen living about three hours before I found him dead. So within the three hour span of time he died. I took him out immediately...and he had already begun nuking my tank! I did daily water changes for about a week to get ammonia down. It took probably two more weeks before the ammonia levels were gone. THANKFULLY none of my fish or corals were affected. Just be real careful and keep your eye on it if you get one...ESPECIALLY in a small tank. FWIW