PDA

View Full Version : 46 Gallon Bow Front Lighting for Corals

sweat044
09-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I am just doing easy soft corals. I don't wanna break the bank buying a major lighting system. I just need something that will keep my corals alive. Any suggestions?

jasonp87
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
T5s should be sufficient. But I wouldn't take just my word for it. I'm just getting into corals myself.

PuD
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Even PCs can sustain softies. I'd still go for T5's at a minimum though. It'll allow you to expand you coral selection in the future and you can pick up T5 fixtures fairly easily nowadays. If I could get some of my other items sold, I would have a set of LEDs that I'd sell for a reasonable price. So, if you know anyone looking for a king bed, leather couch or studded snow tires... send them my way.

notchback5.0
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
in my opinion you should start either looking into halides, or led's. Both of those options will allow you to grow with you changing wants. I have yet to meet anyone who starts with power compacts for coral and stays there and rarely for t5 only users. I went from floressents to power compact to halides with power compacts to halides with t5, and I now will be going led as soon as I get a chance to start putting the parts together. In my opinion, if you already know you want corals, get something that will support any corrals you may choose to do. You will waste a lot more money in the long run upgrading from one system to the next.

jasonp87
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I got my fixture with two 150w halides, 2 96w pcs and led moonlights for $150. Now I'm not restricted by my lights.

Git_r_done2x
09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I have a dual 175w retrofit that I would let go for cheap. You will need to either put it in a canopy or build a box to house them so you can hang it. Also has a dual 65w pc ballast but only one plug for that. The ballast for the halides is included also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Murfman
09-30-2011, 08:04 AM
LED 20K light for sale; http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074488

I took down one of my tanks and have a few things I need to get rid of. Prices included Shipping in the CONUS.

1. 100w Evolution LED light its white in color asking $200 shipped used around 6 months
Evolution LED Light 100w 3G [20k] : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

sweat044
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
My only concern with halides is that the water will get hotter and the bulbs are pretty expensive. I would love LED's just don't have that kinda cash laying around. My plan is to go with the T5's for now maybe pickup another unit so then I would have 4 bulbs and then save money upgrade to LED's. What size LED's would work for my tank?

PuD
09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
The 150w Evo's that Reefkoi sells would be good. Might even be able to get away with the 100w but you may end up with some shaded sides/corners. It all depends on the dimensions of your tank.

sweat044
09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok so I was told by the lady that sold me the lights to run them for like 8 hours. Should I be running anything at night for the corals? I am so confused! She told me one thing and I bought the product and can't return and now I am hearing something different! ugh

sweat044
09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I would buy this system but I am not on the lets say handyman side. I wouldn't know what to build or how to build it.

I have a dual 175w retrofit that I would let go for cheap. You will need to either put it in a canopy or build a box to house them so you can hang it. Also has a dual 65w pc ballast but only one plug for that. The ballast for the halides is included also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

garyanddebbie
09-30-2011, 02:00 PM
What kind of lights did you end up getting?

BRuby
09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Ok so I was told by the lady that sold me the lights to run them for like 8 hours. Should I be running anything at night for the corals? I am so confused! She told me one thing and I bought the product and can't return and now I am hearing something different! ugh

she is correct. 8 hours of daytime is about right. My daytimes run from 2pm to 10pm. the corals don't need any light at night. Like everything else, there are varied opinions on moonlight for the fish. some say no light is better so that they know it is night time and will rest. Others swear by them. Personally my thought is this, 10 years ago nobody had moonights and everything was fine. I can set up my Aqua Illuminations to replicate the lunar cycle, but I see no need. Just my opinion.

sweat044
09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
What kind of lights did you end up getting?

I got T5 Fixtures: Hagen Glo T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixtures. I thought it was a different brand but I looked at the box and this is what I got. I got it from a LFS here in the Springs. I am so confused??

garyanddebbie
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
How many bulbs? I am running a 36" 4 by 39w T5 fixture over a 40 gallon, and I usually run my lights for 10 hours a day. I just added my first corals a couple of weeks ago to this tank so that my change, but so far it is working out just fine.

sweat044
09-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I am running a 36' 2 by 39w T5. The lady swore to me that it was enough light. I am just confused??????