PDA

View Full Version : Filter bag before protein skimmer or no?

scrumpto
09-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Never used a filter bag on a sump before. Do you guys like them, use them, etc?

Also, any disadvantages?

honoreetamore
09-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Filter bag as in filter sock??? If you are talking those filter socks - My personal experience/lil opinion on those POS's is that other than being a death trap for ANY critter that jumps down your overflow bc they get trapped in them and pummeled to death by the water flow... they are good at getting particals out of ur water :/

...I hate them...

After losing my four line cutie wrasse (which apparently is diffacult to freakin get bc i have yet to see them on any of my supplier lists to replace the lil guy - awesome pest control dude btw!), I took my filter socks off and made a custom fish trap box instead... that way any future fishies that went down the water park slide made it safely and didnt meet my protein skimmer pump as their final destination. My starry blenny, one of my talbots damsels, and my adult dragon pipefish all thanked me later for it lol

So pretty much unless you can find a way to make a filter sock that is fish friendly - I'd rather have my tank take a hour more to clear out particles in the water verses lose my fishies :(

Murfman
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I use the filter sock on my inlet to my frag tank. The sock is attached to the drain, which is on the back of the overflow box, which has [] [] [] [] [] [] to keep the fish out. If you can put a strainer on the drain line, or a box like Trish mentioned, then they do keep the tanks cleaner. You do have to clean them pretty often though as they do collect particles larger than 100micron.

notchback5.0
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
ive been running 100 micron sock filters on overflow to the sump on my tank for the last couple years. I have never had any problems with them. I noticed a huge difference in water clarity once I started using them. I have to change mine about every 5 days becuase i use smaller ones. I plan on using them on my 65 I am building now.

I dont understand how they arent fish friendly as others have said. I have a strainer on my durso to keep fish out so they cant make it to the filter. I guess if they were a very small fish, it could be possible to take the trip.