PDA

View Full Version : LED recommendations for a 90g/3' tank

Bernout
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Looking for some advice here for LEDs and timing mechanism for when I pull the trigger and get my tank set up. Tank size itself is 36" x 24" x 24".

My requirements are: While I may not have corals to start with, I'd like enough lighting to support it for when I eventually get sucked in. ;)
It's going to be mounted in a hood. Not sure what the distance above the water would typically be for that. 12"?
For the timer I'd like to be able to support dawn, dusk, night, day settings.
Only 1 LED unit if possible.
Evo seems to be the brand of choice currently.

Would the Evolution LED Light 100w 3G [20k] be sufficient or would I want the 120w version?
Are most people going with the 20ks? I see 14k seems to be the other option.
What do you recommend for a timer mechanism?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. :)

Bernout

dane
09-21-2011, 11:47 PM
I run a single 120w LED fixture on my 65g 36" by 18" can't remember how tall at the moment
But it lights every inch of that tank no problem idk if 6" more would all that big a difference

notchback5.0
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I run a single 120w LED fixture on my 65g 36" by 18" can't remember how tall at the moment
But it lights every inch of that tank no problem idk if 6" more would all that big a difference

have you measured your par at the sand with that? been looking into one of those possibly for my tank if I dont DIY

dv3
09-22-2011, 10:02 AM
evo's are now available with dimmers ...yeah!

Murfman
09-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Bernie, talk to Reefkoi, he won't steer you wrong. I am thinking the 24" model will suffice over a 36" tank. That leaves 6" per side that will get illuminated at the sand, with no problem. My lights are 3x 120s 5 1/2" off the water and putting out 100 par at 30" Being in a canopy you will be about that height but on a much shallower tank so you might have to be careful with some of the lower light corals like acans and chalices.

randomfish
09-23-2011, 01:28 PM
murf i believe the new evo 150's are 18" long and would be more than enough check out reefkoi.com

Reefkoi
09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
OK sorry for the late reply, been in Florida :)

My requirements are:
While I may not have corals to start with, I'd like enough lighting to support it for when I eventually get sucked in.
It's going to be mounted in a hood. Not sure what the distance above the water would typically be for that. 12"? 6"-12" is fine, no hard fast rule there just whatever height works for your setup
For the timer I'd like to be able to support dawn, dusk, night, day settings.The units come with a power cord for blue and 1 for white so you can turn each color on and off with a timer on each
Only 1 LED unit if possible.Go with a 150w evo dimmable for $399

Would the Evolution LED Light 100w 3G [20k] be sufficient or would I want the 120w version?I think the 150 is best, I designed it specifically for 36" long tanks :)
Are most people going with the 20ks? I see 14k seems to be the other option.again.....dimmable!! you can dial the color in exactly how you want! its the only way to go
What do you recommend for a timer mechanism?I sell digital timers cheap :)
Anything else I should be aware of?my lights have a 2 year warranty, in writing!!

Oh and the 150's are 20" long

Bernout
09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks very much Reefkoi! Those answers were certainly worth waiting for. :)

Bernout

OK sorry for the late reply, been in Florida :)

My requirements are:
While I may not have corals to start with, I'd like enough lighting to support it for when I eventually get sucked in.
It's going to be mounted in a hood. Not sure what the distance above the water would typically be for that. 12"? 6"-12" is fine, no hard fast rule there just whatever height works for your setup
For the timer I'd like to be able to support dawn, dusk, night, day settings.The units come with a power cord for blue and 1 for white so you can turn each color on and off with a timer on each
Only 1 LED unit if possible.Go with a 150w evo dimmable for $399

Would the Evolution LED Light 100w 3G [20k] be sufficient or would I want the 120w version?I think the 150 is best, I designed it specifically for 36" long tanks :)
Are most people going with the 20ks? I see 14k seems to be the other option.again.....dimmable!! you can dial the color in exactly how you want! its the only way to go
What do you recommend for a timer mechanism?I sell digital timers cheap :)
Anything else I should be aware of?my lights have a 2 year warranty, in writing!!

Oh and the 150's are 20" long